Best Cheap Chainsaws: Affordable Choices To Get Your Job Done
Cheap doesn’t have to define a lack of quality, and some of our best cheap chainsaw picks are some of the most powerful chainsaws currently available for homeowner use. Personally, I have been incredibly impressed in the past with some of the less expensive saws bought on a tight budget. Below I’ve provided some popular value products as an example of the types of choices you have available to you.
Table of Contents
- What do you plan to use the chainsaw for?
- Have you chosen multiple saws to compare?
- Is the most affordable saw the best saw for you?
- Is your budget firm?
- Poulan Pro 50cc Gas Powered Chain Saw
- Remington RM4216 Rebel 42cc 16-inch Gas Chainsaw
- Worx WG322 10-in Cordless 20V Chainsaw
- BLACK+DECKER LCS1020 20V MAX Lithium-Ion Chainsaw
- Zombi ZCS12017 16-Inch 13-Amp Corded Electric Chainsaw
Because of this, you can really have a price point of below $200 for a durable gas powered saw, and below $100 for an electrically powered saw without sacrificing quality or power for the jobs you need to be done.
Until a large tree died on my property, and a local service wanted an insane amount of money to cut it down for me. For what I was quoted, I could have had two new, beastly saws- none of which was in my budget. The time was ripe for some true research, and I surprised myself by spending a fraction of the cost I thought I would, and got the job done myself.
My point in all this is- you CAN find an affordable, powerful tool and probably save yourself a lot of money on property maintenance in the long run by doing so. Saws are extremely handy to trim and prune any trees and bushed you may have, plus they make cutting firewood a breeze if you even have the need to do so. I even use my small, electric model to cut large, square bales of hay into more manageable feeding amounts.
These are typically more expensive due to their increased power, but many still exist well within the budget you may have set for yourself. With increases in technological efficiencies, many of these saws are able to handle some seriously heavy duty workloads as well, making your chainsaw owning aspirations that much more within your grasp.
Corded versions are more powerful than a cordless, and are also less expensive- but you are limited by extension cord length and outlet location. Cordless saws are highly portable, can hold their own concerning light to moderate duty jobs, with care can get a heavier job done, and are usually very lightweight. But, they are typically the more expensive electric model pick and are limited by battery size and runtime.
- Wear the correct safety gear. This includes eye and ear protection, gloves, boots, and kevlar chaps that are cut resistant and will jam a blade that it comes in contact with.
- Stand in a boxing stance with your dominant foot forward, to the side of the cut, and be sure you are well balanced.
- Keep both hands on the saw, and never take your eyes off the blade while you cut.
- Plan your cut and know where the bar will exit the cut. It isn’t where you start, it is where you finish that is important.
- The top of your chainsaw bar at the tip is called the chainsaw kickback zone. Because of the rotation of the chain, if you suddenly come in contact with a hard object you risk allowing the bar to kick back towards you. Always be mindful of this zone as you cut, even if you have special chains and features to help keep this from happening, and do not stand directly behind the blade.
What do you plan to use the chainsaw for?
Have you chosen multiple saws to compare?
Is the most affordable saw the best saw for you?
Is your budget firm?
- Weight: 17.8 lbs
- Bar Length: 20 inch
- Power Source: gas, 50cc
- Warranty: 2 years
Safety features include a chain brake, and anti-vibration system, as well as a low kickback bar and chain. Easy access to filters, an easy start system, and combi tool storage allows for simple maintenance when away from your workbench. Plus, the easy start is supported by the combined choke/stop control for reliability and to avoid engine flooding.
- Very powerful and durable
- Starts easily
- Idles nicely
- The bar is a bit flexible but can be changed
- Ignition modules may have issues (covered under warranty)
- Weight: 22 lbs
- Bar Length: 16 inch
- Power source: gas, 42cc
- Warranty: 2 year
The saw is equipped with a chain brake, low kickback bar and chain, balanced weight, and a 5 point anti-vibration system- all which help you work safely through your job. An easy startup and cushioned wrap-around grip provide added comfort while you work as well. It also comes with a protective case for easy storage and to help keep it clean when not in use.
- Very reliable
- Well balanced and cuts easily
- Perfect size for property management
- May leak oil when stored
- Some issues with the on/off switch
- Weight: 6.2 lbs
- Bar Length: 10 inches
- Power source: cordless, 20 volt
- Warranty: 3 years
Worry-free chain tensioning, automatic oiling and the ability to transform it into an extension saw with an optional pole, this is a great tool to have access to. Safety features include a low chain and bar kickback, hand protection, and low vibration for easy use- plus the wrap-around handle allows you to get into tight reaches. It also is part of the 20 volt Auto Share Platform, allowing you to work interchangeably with other Worx products.
- Great, portable size
- Very quiet
- Perfect for residential use
- Care must be taken to keep chains properly adjusted
- Battery life is short, investing in a second is worth it
- Weight: 7.2 lbs
- Bar Length: 10 inch
- Power source: cordless, 20 volt
- Warranty: 2 years
Black + Decker is known for their property management tools, and this compact, battery operated chainsaw is a popular choice for homeowner use. 20-volt battery power keeps you working for hours on lighter cutting jobs, and the 10-inch chain makes short work of the trimming and pruning jobs you have ready for it. It also can handle the occasional heavier job with care. It comes with a tool-less chain tensioner for immediate adjustments while you work.
Safety features include a low kickback bar and chain, a hand guard, and easy wrap around grip for easy use. An oiling system is included with a window as well to check oil levels prior to working. At only 7 lbs, this is one of the lightest cordless versions available and is highly portable to reach anywhere on your property.
- Perfect for firewood
- Incredibly lightweight
- Long lasting
- Chain oiler may not put out enough oil
- Weight: 13.5 lbs
- Bar Length: 16 inch
- Power source: corded, 13 amp
- Warranty: 5 years
Many corded saws are much smaller than their gas counterparts, but the Zombi corded electric is comparative in size, with none of the weight, to a similar gas powered saw. At only 13.5 lbs, you can work longer and more efficiently without fatigue and can handle moderate to large jobs with ease. The low kickback bar, anti-vibration, and cord holder are all details that make it that much more comfortable to work with.
- Seriously powerful and long lasting
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Not very loud
- Limited by cord length
- The chain must be kept correctly adjusted to avoid slippage
Although I’ve only provided a small selection of our best cheap chainsaw picks, these are a good example of the value available to you when restricted by a budget. There is no need to neglect the cutting and pruning jobs you may have to pile up due to the lack of the tool to get the job done. Whether you prefer or need, a gas-powered, or electric powered chainsaw for your perceived property maintenance, there is definitely more than one choice available from which to pick from.
Each of the above offers excellent value, but my personal favorite is the Remington RM4216 Rebel 42cc 16-inch Gas Chainsaw due to its compact size and specific features for homeowner use. I am a fan of electric saws as well due to their surprising power, but if I had to choose a product that I know could handle everything from light to heavy cutting, the Remington would be my choice. Plus, it is not restricted by cords and can be used in any situation.
If you have any questions about the products I’ve highlighted, or have a favorite cheap saw to share- please leave your comments below. And, as always, please share!