Did you know that you can turn a regular hot tub into a saltwater hot tub by simply attaching a salt chlorine generator to your system? But that would mean one extra purchase in addition to the money you already spent on a hot tub, so you have to be sure that this is the right investment for you. That’s why we’re going to show you the benefits and drawbacks of these systems, while also browsing through some of the best saltwater hot tubs of 2019.
6 Best Saltwater Hot Tub Comparisons
|ControlOMatic||Check The Price|
|Saltron Mini||Check The Price|
|Intex Krystal Clear||Check The Price|
|Solaxx CLG10A Saltron Retro||Check The Price|
|Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System||Check The Price|
|Harmony||Check The Price|
Benefits of a Saltwater System
Long story short, a salt chlorine generator can turn your hot tub into a healthier relaxing environment for the entire family. Let us start off by saying that you can buy hot tubs with the integrated saltwater system, but they would cost you a small fortune. However, if you already own an inflatable hot tub, you can easily buy a system that will turn your tub into a regular wonderland. Some of the benefits of such a system include:
- Easier maintenance: This is one of the main selling points of such a system. The cleaning process for such a generator is a dozen times simpler compared to other sanitizers.
- Doesn’t contain irritants: Saltwater hot tubs don’t have any chloramines. These are a result of ammonia and chlorine interaction and are considered a by-product that might lead to skin irritation. people who are sensitive to chlorine should definitely try a saltwater system.
- Eliminates the need for sanitizers: With a saltwater hot tub, you will no longer have to worry about chlorine. That’s one less worry for hot tub owners.
- Increases water buoyancy: In translation, the water puts less stress on the body, which leads to a better experience overall.
- Makes water softer: Believe it or not, this natural form of chlorine is softer on the skin, reducing the chances of dry or cracked skin (which can be a consequence of pools that use regular chlorine systems).
- Pleasant odor: Hot tubs that use all sorts of weird sanitizers and chemical solutions might end up giving off an unpleasant smell. With a salt system, you can prevent chlorine mutation, which leads to a fresh water scent, making your dipping experience much more pleasant.
- Reduced costs: Purchasing a saltwater hot tub is expensive, but when you purchase an inflatable tub and a saltwater system separately, you end up paying less money.
- Healthy: These are relaxing and therapeutic, making them great for your health.
Downsides of a Saltwater System
Having a saltwater system is way better than using a traditional sanitizer and soaking in potentially harmful chemicals. However, these systems are not without flaws but, yet again, which product isn’t?
- While the initial costs of purchasing a saltwater system + hot tub combo are lower, it is still one additional cost compared to how much you would pay for a simple hot tub, without this type of generator.
- These systems have a cell that usually has a lifespan of between two to five years. When the cell eventually dies out, you will have to replace it. Even if they are not all that expensive, it is still an additional cost that hot tub owners have to take into consideration.
- The laws of chemistry have taught us that salt is corrosive to metal. This means that there are certain elements that are exposed to corrosion, such as heaters or underwater lighting, as these are sensitive to high salt levels.
Top 6 Saltwater Hot Tub System Reviews
Now that you know what to make of the comparisons between saltwater system and regular sanitizers and hot tubs with saltwater systems integrated into their construction, you might want to hear about the most effective generator of this year, just in case you’re willing to make the upgrade.
- Water capacity: 1,000 gallons
- Dimensions: 4 x 11 x 6 inches
- Warranty: 1 year
If you want to turn your hot tub into a saltwater one, a chlorinating system like the one developed by ControlOMatic should do the trick. It is designed with 10 different built-in levels that prevent extended maintenance times and transforms your hot tub water into a healthy liquid that requires less care.
The device is capable of generating up to 30 grams of chlorine per day, and has a coverage of 1,000 gallons of water. And the best part of it all is that you don’t have to make any alteration to your tub to get this baby going. The device simply attaches to the control panel of your hot tub, and then the electrode is placed in water.
Not only does this result in clean saltwater, but the fact that this is a hassle-free product will make hot tub time a lot more about relaxation and a lot less about worrying about how to sanitize the water. The product is covered by one year of warranty, and also cable clips and an owner’s manual.
- Easy maintenance.
- 30 grams of pure chlorine daily.
- Comes with 10 salt test strips.
- Comes with 10 chlorine test strips.
- Good for small hot tubs.
- Easy on swimsuits.
- Works independently from the filter.
- Short lifespan.
If you need a chlorine generating system that’s designed for hot tubs who support up to 1,000 gallons of water, this little wonder right here is the perfect product for you.
- Water capacity: 2,000 gallons
- Dimensions: N/A
- Warranty: 1 year
The Saltron Mini really is a small device, but also one that is capable of generating enough salt for a 2,000-gallon hot tub, which is pretty neat considering its compact size. This little fellow is designed to turn a regular hot tub into a saltwater beast, thanks to salt electrolysis.
It’s made from a titanium cell, meaning that it was built to last. It features a controller that’s backed up by LED indicators for a more user-friendly experience. It is super-simple to install and doesn’t require you making any kind of plumbing adjustments.
- Easy to install.
- No odor in the water.
- Doesn’t require water draining.
- Built-in controller.
- LED indicators.
- Titanium cell.
- Short power cord.
We’ve added the Saltron Mini to this list because it’s compact and easy to understand product that balances a good price and the features you need from a saltwater chlorination system.
Intex Krystal Clear
- Water capacity: 7,000 gallons, 15,000 gallons
- Dimensions: 13.7 x 16.8 x 11.5 inches
- Warranty: 1 year
The Intex Krystal Clear saltwater system is available in two versions: one that’s suitable for hot tubs with a maximum capacity of 7,000 gallons, but also one for larger tubs, with a total capacity that doesn’t exceed 15,000 gallons.
The benefits that you get from buying this system are pretty amazing considering that it’s sold at a really good price: your swimsuits are safe from discoloring, you can avoid the chemical smell induced by regular sanitizers, your skin is safe, and you get a two-year warranty to cover your product.
The device features automatic operation that’s powered by the 24-hour automatic timer. It easily connects to the filter pump, so it’s fairly easy to install without too much trouble. The system works by dissolving natural salt in your hot tub or pool’s water, making sure that the water stays clean and fresh, ready for the entire family to use.
- No chemical smell.
- 24-hour automatic timer.
- Hoses are included.
- Really good price.
- Good for in ground pools as well.
- Cool-looking design.
- “High salt” alarm is easily triggered.
- Requires a pump which is sold separately.
If you want a product available at a really good price, but one that doesn’t skimp on quality and features in favor of financial commodity, you will love what this Intex system has to offer.
Solaxx CLG10A Saltron Retro
- Water capacity: 20,000 gallons
- Dimensions: 3.5 x 9 x 23.2 inches
- Warranty: 1 year
Don’t you just love buying items that are “self-cleaning”? We all enjoy spending time in the hot tub, but when it comes to cleaning items that are designed for leisure, it kind of seems like a waste of time and energy. Well, with the Solaxx CLG10A salt chlorine generator, you won’t have to worry about that “one more thing to clean”.
Small, but fierce, this product is designed to cover pools that are up to 20,000 gallons in capacity, which is A LOT, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use it in your 400-gallon hot tub. What else can you expect from this little beast, you ask? Well, it features instant results, a salt cell that’s made with commercial-grade titanium, plus a digital power supply.
The product is really easy to install, doesn’t require making any plumbing modification, and it comes with a programmable digital timer. The chlorine production is around 0.4 pounds per day, and it’s based on an electrolytic process that uses a low salt concentration.
- Easy to install.
- Self-cleaning unit.
- No harsh chemicals.
- Digital power supply.
- Commercial-grade titanium cell.
- Good for in and above ground pools.
- Cell lasts roughly two years.
If you’re not happy with the idea of buying a chlorine system that requires cleaning, you might find the self-cleaning Solaxx CLG10A as a product worthy of your attention.
Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System
- Water capacity: 8,500 gallons
- Dimensions: 17.1 x 17.5 x 34.4 inches
- Warranty: 2 year
There’s a lot to be said by this Intex saltwater system that also doubles as a sand filter pump. You basically get two products in a single item that’s designed to enhance your hot tub or pool-related experience.
The sand filter is meant to keep the water nice and clean. And then, you have the saltwater system, which is based on electro catalytic oxidation technologies that are meant to eliminate the use of traditional chlorine and other chemicals that might do more harm than good.
Both the sand filtering pumps and the saltwater chlorine system are powered by a 24-hour timer to make sure that you won’t have to remember any more programming details. The product is suitable for hot tubs and pools that have a minimum capacity of 2,600 gallons, and a maximum capacity of 8,500 gallons.
- Sand filter pump.
- 24-hour timer.
- Both units shut down together.
- Clean and filtered water.
- Good price for a 2-in-1 product.
- Comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Confusing setup instructions.
To get the best bang for your buck, you want a product that can accomplish many different simultaneous tasks. If you were looking for a saltwater chlorine system that includes a sand filter pump, this is the right product for you.
- Water capacity: 25,000 gallons
- Dimensions: 20 x 15 x 20 inches
- Warranty: 2 years
If you’re into high-tech gadgets, then you’ll want a chlorinator that’s aligned with your gadget standards. This is why the Harmony is one of the best products out there, because it uses a special electrolytic cell and titanium plates for on-site chlorine production.
What you basically get is a salt chlorinator that also acts as a pool cleaner, which doubles the benefits that you get from one single product. The Harmony is designed to be able to sanitize every square inch of your hot tub without cutting any corners.
And the best part is that this gizmo will actually move around the entire pool to make sure that it’s cleaned and chlorinated water evenly, so that you and your family can finally enjoy quality hot tub water as you deserve it.
- Pool cleaner.
- Moving robot.
- Scrubs pool walls and bottom.
- Eliminates dead spots.
- Good for up to 25,000 gallons.
- Requires constant cleaning due to calcium deposits.
For those of you that are passionate about the most innovative products in their respective categories, there’s the Harmony pool cleaners and salt chlorinator: a 2-in-1 product that delivers quality sanitized water.
Having a saltwater system that will help introduce you to the wonderful world of salt in hot tub water is definitely something worth considering if you’re the least bit skeptical about what chemicals in regular sanitizers might do to your skin.
For the best results, you want to choose a system that’s easy to install and ready to use in just a few minutes, but also one that caters to the water capacity of your own hot tub.