Do you ever wonder why people put diapers in their planters? It might seem like a strange thing to do, but there are actually a few good reasons for it! Keep reading to find out what the benefits of using diapers in your garden are. You might be surprised by what you learn!
Here’s why putting diapers in your planters is such a great idea:
Diapers Are Absorbent
When it comes to your plants, there’s no such thing as too much protection. That’s why using diapers in your planters is a great idea!
Diapers are extremely absorbent and can hold plenty of fluids. Meaning, they can also help keep the soil around your plants moist. Simply remove the inner fluff of the diaper, mix it with water and add it to your soil. Or, you can place the diaper right at the bottom of the pot. This can be really helpful in hot weather when the soil tends to get parched quickly.
Diapers Are Cheap
(for gardening, not parenting!)
Diapers are an inexpensive way to keep your plants healthy and hydrated. You can usually find them on sale at your local drugstore or big box store.
By using diapers, you can reduce the amount of water your plants need and also help to protect them from pests and diseases. Diapers are also a great way to recycle and reuse materials that would otherwise be thrown away.
Diapers Are Easy to Use
One of the best things about diapers is that they’re extremely easy to use. All you need to do is place them under your plants and they’ll do the rest.
Diapers Prevent Overwatering
It’s important to not overwater your plants, but it can be difficult to know how much is too much. By using diapers in your planter, you can help regulate the amount of water your plants are getting and prevent them from being over-watered.
Diapers Keep The Soil in Place
Another advantage of using diapers in your planters is that they help keep the soil in place. This is especially important if you have plants that are prone to toppling over. The diaper will act as a support system and help keep the plant upright.
Diapers Help Retain Moisture
One of the main reasons why diapers are so great for plants is because they help retain moisture. This is especially important during hot summer days when the sun can quickly dry out the soil. By placing a diaper under your plant, you can help keep the roots damp and prevent the plant from wilting.
How To Use Diapers In Your Planters
- Choose the right size diaper. You’ll want to make sure that the diaper you select is large enough to fit around the base of your plant. If it’s too small, it won’t be able to absorb all of the water and nutrients that your plant needs.
- Place the diaper in the bottom of your planter. Make sure that the open end of the diaper is facing up so that it can absorb water.
- Add your plant. Place your plant on top of the diaper, making sure that the roots are touching the diaper.
- Add your soil on top of the diaper.
- Water your plant. The diaper will absorb water and nutrients from the soil, delivering them directly to your plant’s roots. It will also help wick away excess moisture, keeping your plant’s roots healthy and dry.
- When it’s time to repot your plant, simply remove the diaper and recycle it.
- Enjoy! Your plant will be happy and healthy, thanks to its new helper!
It’s best practice to add a layer of gravel to the bottom of your planter prior to adding your diaper. When you add a layer of gravel to the bottom of your planter, it allows excess water to drain away from the roots of your plants. This is especially important if you live in an area with high rainfall, or if you tend to overwater your plants – You also want to avoid root rot.
Adding a layer of gravel also helps to keep the soil in your planter from becoming too compacted. If the soil is too compacted, it can prevent air and water from reaching the roots of your plants, which can eventually lead to their death.
Grab A Diaper!
Have you ever tried using diapers in your planters? If not, it’s definitely worth a try!
There are a few reasons why this is such a great solution for watering plants. Not only does it save water, but it’s also an affordable option that can be used anywhere. So, next time you’re looking for a way to water your plants, don’t forget the diapers! They just might be the best solution for you.
Do you have any tips or tricks for using diapers in the garden? Let us know in the comments below!