• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Recent content by IRQVET

1. IRQVET

Review- Cabela's 80 Liter Commercial Food Dehydrator

Stock Photo vs. In our Kitchen Cabela’s 80 Liter Commerical Food Dehydrator 4 out of 5 Stars Cost at time of purchase: Mid $300 Range? (Can’t remember exactly) Ownership Length: 5 years My wife and I on our wedding anniversary go in and buy something we...
  2. IRQVET

How often do you mow?

You fertilize every two weeks?
  3. IRQVET

FNG here, just checking in . . .

Good Cajan Rub I use on chicken: (4 brests) 2 Tsp Garlic Powder 1 Tsp Onion Powder 4 Tsp Smoked Paprika .5 Tsp Cumin 2 Tsp Black Pepper 2 Tsp Sea Salt 1 Tsp Italian Seasoning .5 Tsp Chili Powder 1 Tsp of Cayenne Pepper Mix together and let them commingle for a few hours in a bowl or dish...
  4. IRQVET

How often do you mow?

Scotts Bonus S for southern lawns. Costco usually has a 50 lb bag on sale for $35 in March of each year, so thats when I stock up. Best price I've ever seen, since most places sell the 35 lb bag for that price and thats only when its on sale. Costco raises the price to $50 per bag by April, so...
  5. IRQVET

Lets see those fruit trees . . .

When I plant trees (in the past) I do with root stock that is known to do well in that area. In the past I usually go the local Ag University Extension Office and ask questions. Honestly I forgot about that part and maybe I should take my own advice, so thanks for the reminder bitpushr. As for...
  6. IRQVET

Lets see those fruit trees . . .

Last year we moved from Oregon to Florida. At my old house I had Apricots, Pears, Plums, Apples, Cherries, Lemons, and Nectarines that I planted the first year I owned the house. Now that I'm in a new growning zone, I'm having issues finding what works. Right now all I have is Varigated Lemons...
  7. IRQVET

IRQVET's Black Pepper Beef Jerky

One thing to note, but the longer you marinate it, the more pronounced the liquid smoke and molasses becomes. If your a fan of those two, 12 hours. If you want just a hint of that flavor, stick to 4 hours.
  8. IRQVET

Steaks in the Oven?

Funny you say that b/c that is exactly what I did. Just about everything I cook get seared in a cast iron pan with butter before cooking. Long time ago, I was told that is what Chris Ruth Steakhouse does. So that's what I do, lol.
  9. IRQVET

Fresh salsa

Had an ex-Execute Chef turned Deputy Sheriff buddy of mine who used to make us his salsa. It was fantastic! EVERYONE tried to get his receipe, but it was a closely guarded secret as he put it, "When I retire, I'm starting a salsa company." All I could ever get out of him was all the ingredients...
  10. IRQVET

Steaks in the Oven?

I was forced to that once when my BBQ quit working 2 minutes in. Wasn't my favorite but it wasn't terrible so long as you don't over cook it.
  11. IRQVET

IRQVET's Black Pepper Beef Jerky

BEEF- Top or Bottom Round (Usually which ever one I can buy in bulk) AMOUNT- 4 pounds MARINADE: (4-12 hours) - 1 cup Soy sauce - 1 cup of Worcestershire sauce - 16 ounces of Pineapple juice - 2 tea spoons of Liquid smoke - 4 ounces of Honey - 2 ounces of Molasses Dust with fresh ground black...
  12. IRQVET

How often do you mow?

My lawn has a short growing season, maybe 4 months. I leave mine long (3.75 to 4.25 inces) so my roots don't get too hot and stress out. I fertilize once per year in the spring, and in fall I over seed with a winter growing seed just so it fills in any bare spots so weeds don't pop up. Its...
  13. IRQVET

Which vacuum sealer would you recommend?

I got a Foodsaver from Costco, had it about 3-4 years and I'm pretty happy with it. Think I paid around $90 bucks for it.
  14. IRQVET

FNG here, just checking in . . .

Hello everyone, New member here from the Florida panhandle. I'm an advid BBQ'er and I also do a alot of beef jerky. As a kid, I grew up next door to a pretty big name on the Food Network (name withheld) but I've met several celebrity chef types in my earlier years through him, so although I...

The Freshness