• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

2 meats at the same time?

C

Cory

Does anyone ever smoke 2 meats at the same time? I'm asking because I have access to a Weber Smokey mountain style smoker but am curious about smoked salmon and a brisket at the same time. Mainly the drippings from one to another. It would be kinda hard to place them not being over top one other on that style of smoker. Even if I used a box style smoker would the flavors cross contaminate at all?

B

Bbqguy

Let me preface this with, I hate salmon. Too fishy for me. I know that's not a real popular answer but it is what it is. Now back to the reply. I would think that one would drip on the other rendering one to pick up flavor from the other. I'd probably only try that if I had a large smoker where the meats weren't stacked on top of one another.

B

ber4

I wouldn't smoke two meats at one time in the same smoker. The flavors would have to intermingle and that would be nasty! I don't like salmon either! The smell is just horrible!

O

Over Easy

We do that with hamburgers and sausages when we have family get-togethers. They taste just fine and if we didn't double it all up it would take all day just to feed people.

C

Cory

I was worried about the flavors mixing with each other. I am new to smoking. I have no problem grilling up burgers and chicken, stuff like that on the grill but smoking seems like there is a lot more to it.

B

Bbqguy

There's a lot of smoking web sites out there Cory. That's where I've got most of my temps, times and recipes from. Some good some not so good. Most of what I've learned about smoking is "low and slow".

C

Charcoal

I have never smoked two meats at the same. I have always thought it isn't a good idea. The juices of the first meat dripping down on the other will surely affect the flavor. :rolleyes:

G

grillqueen79

We smoke chicken breasts and Boston Butt at the same time all of the time and we have never had a problem with crazy flavors or anything like that. We have also done pork loins and hamburgers at the same time.

O

Over Easy

On a smoker?

No, I have a grill. It has a top rack attached to the lid and it comes up when you open the grill, and down when you close it. I use the top for one meat and the bottom for the other. There's a drip pan I attach to the bottom of the top rack so the juices don't fall down and onto the meat on the bottom rack. It also stays put when you close the lid.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
I have a barrel smoker and cook more then one type of meat at the same time. Typically I'll have ribs with beef jerky in any open spots and if I find turkey legs on sale I add them too. I like to fill my smoker up.

H

Hilt

I think unless they two can compliment one another to a T then it is just not going to work. Some foods work together, many do not.

B

ber4

Turkey legs? I have never made those before. I prefer the white meat. I would think the taste/flavor would combine. I know you can cook them on a grill together but I didn't know about the cooker.

D

Darren Hesbie

It is quite easy to smoke two kinds of meat at the same time. The thing which require attention about this is to prepare both kinds of meet before smoking. I mean to say if you want to smoke salmon and brisket then you must prepare the salmon separately and brisket separately. After you have coated all the ingredients on these meat then next step is to smoke them. Now you can smoke both meat at the same time on one grill. It is pretty easy but whole attention goes on the preparation of both meats. Similarly you cannot only smoke salmon with brisket but any kind of meat which you want.

B

bigal3

I too don't mix fish with meats like beef or pork for the flavor contamination factor. However I have no problem grilling beef beef with chicken or lamb with beef or pork. The two flavors tend to compliment eachother in my opinion. Generally when I do fish or seadfood like schrimp, salmon, or some other seafood I generally do them together. There is no flavor conflicts especially If I use a covered type grill like a "Webber" grill.

mia5465

I never smoked two meats
at the same time, either.
I still felt that it
was not a good idea.
The flavor would certainly affect the juices of
the first meat dripping down on the other.

mia5465

Turkey
legs?
I have never
made those before.
I'd rather
have white meat.
The taste/flavor will
blend, I'd imagine.
I know you can cook them together on a
barbecue, but I didn't know who the smoker was.

The Freshness