• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Aluminum support?

Coinman

I really didn’t know where to post this, but I have a question about a used grill island that I recently bought and I’m refurbishing. Long story short, to support the cast-iron grates I need to put a new support along the front inside of the grill. I’m wondering if a thick aluminum or stainless steel would work, the aluminum is cheaper and would be easier to work with, I just was wondering as far as any metallic or toxic effects there would be from the aluminum but I see it does have a fairly high melting point.

bitpushr

Slow and Low
Staff member
I really didn’t know where to post this, but I have a question about a used grill island that I recently bought and I’m refurbishing. Long story short, to support the cast-iron grates I need to put a new support along the front inside of the grill. I’m wondering if a thick aluminum or stainless steel would work, the aluminum is cheaper and would be easier to work with, I just was wondering as far as any metallic or toxic effects there would be from the aluminum but I see it does have a fairly high melting point.
A bit late to reply to this (curious how you made out) but I think Aluminum would be harder to work with. But, curious what you ended up using.

The Freshness