• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Among friends

C

Cowboy

Have you ever had a cook off with friends or family? I did this last year with some guys from work and we had a great time. We got together and decided on a small menu (brisket, baked beans, and cole slaw) and then we cooked it one day outside the warehouse and let the rest of co-workers be the judges. It was fun, but it was also a good way to break up the usual monotony of work.

L

Lincoln

We've kind of done a version of that with family, but I've never had a cook off with friends. Actually, in our family it's more about the BBQ sauce than it is the actual cooking part. Each of us have a "secret" recipe that is constantly being refined, so it is always fun to try to guess what is in the other sauces.

G

goodselfme

Have you ever had a cook off with friends or family? I did this last year with some guys from work and we had a great time. We got together and decided on a small menu (brisket, baked beans, and cole slaw) and then we cooked it one day outside the warehouse and let the rest of co-workers be the judges. It was fun, but it was also a good way to break up the usual monotony of work.
Sounds like a really great way to taste others favorite recipes and to enjoy social time too. Good suggestion.thank you.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
I've always wanted to do a chili cook off with friends and family. The problem is who do you get to judge. I figure chili on a cold day would be great.

H

Hilt

Not a straight cook off no but we have had random dishes made for BBQ's that we always have someone create a new dish and bring it along. Sometimes it turns out god and sometimes it turns out bad, its an adventure none the less!

C

Coffeeaddict

I haven't tried it myself but my Dad had a cook off with his buddies and we were there cheering for him. It was fun and at the same time, perfect bonding moment with his friends. The best thing is that we were able to get a sample of each specialty and they're all mouth-watering! I'd like to try it with my friends sometime soon.

C

Cowboy

Jason, if you get, say, five people involved in the "competition" and each of those people brings along a friend or two (or three), you'll have your judges. Make it a party and you'll have fun for sure!

S

steph84

I had a chili bean cookoff last summer and we made some little voting slips on our computer. I printed them out and placed them next to our bowls. We secretly voted and tallied all of the votes and the winner won the golden apron. It was so much fun and my friend still wears his apron every chance he gets.

M

moondrop

A previous employer held competitions once a year as a fundraiser. The different teams would bring in a specific food, such as chocolate chip cookies, to be judged. Employees made a small donation, then were allowed to sample and vote in the contest.

I

Isabellas2007

I have not done this personally, but I know some companies have had this type of cookoff where the person would get an extra weeks vacation. Needless to say the food was great tasting because everyone wanted to win!

B

beckyv1265

I havn't ever done a cook off but since people always ask me to cook when we have get togethers I assume they enjoy what I cook. They will ask me wht I need and pick up the stuff so I can make whatever favorite dish they like. lol Maybe they are just laazy nd waant me to do all the work. Hehhehe

J

Jenine

I've never done this before. I know that my grilling methods may be different from my friends'. It seems like you, your buddies and co-workers had a good time. It actually made work fun.

P

Pete

We do a version of this when we go on vacation with my husband's family. They congregate once a summer in their summer house at the beach. Various guys have different nights of the week to do the barbecue. Each does his specialty, and occasionally there's a new item on the menu. The rest of us are beneficiaries. So far, I like my brother-in-law's brisket best. It melts in your mouth and has exquisite flavors.

F

FireBrick

We haven't had any cook off but it looks like a good idea! There are several in our extended family who are good cooks, so I think a cook off will be fun!

L

Laurasav

What a great idea! None of us in my friends & family or even work circle have ever thought of doing this! I might have to start a new tradition now! However, I now have a niece and a nephew who are certified chefs and no doubt the competition would be won by one of them in a family cook off! Hey, it might be interesting to see which one of them would win! Might it start a marital war though?! LOL

M

Mrs. Pirz

My husband usually gets friends from the hospital to come and watch us cook but sometimes they join in and take care of the sides for us. They've never really done a cook off with us but they did duplicate a side we made once - it was regular potatoe salad and I must say my husband's was better.

The Freshness