• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Barbecue Whole Bananas!

J

Jessi

3285678255_1905fbfbff.jpg

Oh my! That looks amazing. I have a major soft spot for grill marks so this looks even more fantastic to me. I think it's interesting that you split them in half but kept them in the peel still.

J

j_pin

I do this all the time! I usually fill the bananas with a little bit of butter, marshmallows, and chocolate chips. After it's done if my sweet tooth is really acting up I will even put it on top of some ice cream with whip cream and a cherry. Amazing. Kids love it too!

R

R. Paradon

We sometimes take the smaller banana's and coat them with a batter of coconut milk and rice flour. Then we will deep fry them. I have never tried grilling them but it sounds and looks interesting. LOL! One more thing to clean up!

B

babygrillgirl

My daughter made these the last time we went camping. She said she learned how to do it at Girl Scout camp. It was the first time I'd ever seen it and it was super easy and yum, yum, yum!! We didn't even have mini marshmallows or chocolate chips. She stuffed it with chocolate bar pieces and put regular sized marshmallows on top. She cooked it using a hot dog/marshmallow stick. When camping - improvise! :)

V

violino

I've seen people put them over the campfire, though, and then split open the middle and fill with chocolate chips
I've done it with chocolate a few times and it's really delicious. There are two different flavours, delicate banana and sweet chocolate and all together taste fantastic.
I"ve even tried to do this at home and it's not that bad to make it on a frying pan - but it would be cooked of course faster and you have to do it without a skin, so you have to be very careful to not to burn it.

F

FireBrick

I love bananas but I haven't actually tried throwing them on the grill. I won't think twice about giving it a shot. Grilled bananas spread with chocolate then topped with marshmallows seem divine!

J

Jailynnsgrandma

I love bananas. I have never tried them on the grill. Never even thought about it really, but I am definitely going to the next time we grill. Maybe that could be part of tomorrow night's dinner. I just bought bananas yesterday so I know that we have plenty.

N

nene5

This sounds really good. It's a good way to use up some ripe bananas. You can also take advantage of the sales they run now. Bananas are not that expensive and you can tweak it to your liking with different seasonings.

J

Jenine

I've had pan-fried bananas, but never grilled any bananas like this. This is definitely new to me.

G

GwapaLala

I absolutely love this! After grilling it, I coat it with butter and sugar and pair it with frozen yogurt! It tastes like heaven!

L

leyash

This is an amazing idea! I don't think I've ever seen something so neat... ever! This would be GREAT with a peach or strawberry reduction over it. MMM.

F

FlanneryCam

I've never put them straight on the grill before.

I've seen people put them over the campfire, though, and then split open the middle and fill with chocolate chips, marshmallows, etc, so that it melts and creates a sweet treat.

Yeah, this is my poison. I don't even like bananas. But with the chocolate and marshmellow.

But I would like to try a banana right on the grill. I'm sure that kids will really enjoy a bbq banana treat!

S

shaun

Grilled bananas are good, they taste like honey if you cook them right. However, I prefer cooking bananas in a pan with butter, flambeed with rum and topped with loads of whipped cream. I suppose you could add butter and cream to grilled bananas but incorporating the rum would be difficult.

M

Mama2three

I have never grilled a banana, but bet my son would absolutely love them. We actually bought a bunch of bananas today, and are going to be grilling some apron tomorrow, so we might have to put some bananas out there while the grill is nice and hot. Thanks for sharing.

J

jovan107

I have eaten grilled bananas a few times before. My cousin always grill bananas as dessert whenever she has a family gathering. I think they taste great and its perfect for a sundae.

T

taskeinc

It does look good by the pictures. You're also coming up with a dessert that most of your guest probably have not tried before. I'll need to try it first before I spring it on my guest though. I'll test it with my kids, my son is like me, he'll try anything once. My daughter will wait to see what we think about it, then she might try it. Thanks for the recipe.

P

Parker

I have never heard of grilled bananas. The pictures in this thread look so delicious. The next time I BBQ, I will be grilling some bananas. Even though I'm lactose intolerant, I will eat them with a scoop of chocolate ice cream. It will be worth the consequences. ;)

R

Red Boots

Grilled or broiled bananas are the best! I usually just use the broiler in my oven. Something about the heat brings out the sweetness of the banana really well. They're also excellent with homemade caramel sauce.

E

Ellyn

I've never tried this. Does the banana get warm and mushy?
I am not really sure whether I would try it, though. I normally eat my bananas fresh.

These recipes would probably work well enough on the sorts of bananas that you do eat fresh, called "dessert bananas", if you cook them really quickly on high heat or on a carefully-monitored time on low heat then they don't get mushy.

However, I'm also thinking that many of these bananas aren't dessert bananas but plantain or "cooking bananas", which, just like the name says, are bananas that can't be eaten fresh because they must be cooked first.

The batter and glaze recipes that I'm finding in this thread are certainly intriguing!

Oh my! That looks amazing. I have a major soft spot for grill marks so this looks even more fantastic to me. I think it's interesting that you split them in half but kept them in the peel still.

I think that's sensible, you'd want something to hold the banana by when you turn it out onto the sundae bowl.

The Freshness