• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Beef stew

B

Burg14

Need some advice here! I love making beef soup (loaded with veggies and potatoes). My hubby and kids want me to make beef stew, same as the soup but with a thicker broth. I've never made a thick broth before in any soup. What do I do? I don't want it too thick. Do I thicken it right at the end?

S

smokinhog

Yes, wait until it's almost ready to serve and then thicken it with instant mashed potatoes. This is a little trick I learned years ago instead of trying to use a flour and water paste. There's no lumps and it works beautifully.

B

ber4

Now that just sounds pretty gross. You already have potatoes in the soup right? I would use corn starch or flour. You wait until right before it's done and then let it thicken. You want to cook it a bit after too (otherwise it might taste too floury).

B

Burg14

I am going to try it with mashed potatoes too. I love them! So if you use flour or cornstarch, do you just use a mixture like you would for homemade gravy? I have never been good at getting the consistency right.

K

khartig

I use flour or cornstarch to thicken mine. I mix it with some water first and mix well to eliminate lumps. Pour it in and let simmer.

B

Bbqguy

I just made a stew few weeks ago. I made a roux (sp?) to thicken. Equal parts flour and butter. Melt the butter (2 tbs) in a sauce pan, spoon in the flour and stir with a wooden spoon. It will look pastry, cook for about 5 min to get rid of the flour taste. Add to your beef broth. Great thickener! Good luck

M

MissPeggy

I've never tried that one before Bbqguy but will do so next time. I have used the instant mashed potato one though. It works nice but have found that I can't use to much of it because it changes the taste a bit.

L

Lincoln

If you use cornstarch you will want to start with less of it and then add more if you decide that you need it. You should also mix it with water first so you don't end up with a lot of clumps in the stew.

B

Burg14

I tried it with flour and I am sure I added too much. Stew was so thick! Next time I will try just a little and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I ended up adding beef broth to the whole thing so it turned out okay.

T

TopChef

Some people flour their meat before putting it in the stew. I prefer to saute the meat instead, so that I can get the good flavor of the fond on the bottom of the pan into the stew. So I flour my onions before adding to the stew. That starts you out with a slightly thicker broth. Then I mix a little flour and cold water to pour in at the end and simmer a little longer. Finally, we love it served over a bread trencher, which is just a thick slice of bread at the bottom of the bowl. When you do that, even if the stew is a little thin, the bread adds heartiness.

C

Charcoal

I use cornstarch to thicken my soup or sauce. I mix it with cold water to prevent lumps. I have tried flour, but my soup turned out too thick and lumpy, so I stick to cornstarch. I heard that you can also pureed vegetable as a soup thickener.

T

TopChef

I use cornstarch to thicken my soup or sauce. I mix it with cold water to prevent lumps. I have tried flour, but my soup turned out too thick and lumpy, so I stick to cornstarch. I heard that you can also pureed vegetable as a soup thickener.

That is true! And it sure does add nutritional value to the meal. Your post reminded me of another option: okra. Some people add okra to a stew to thicken it naturally. I've never tried it, but it is used a lot in Cajun stews.

C

Charcoal

I have never tried using okra either. I am not really a fan of okra and I don't have it that much because I find it too slimy. I suppose it's the viscous nature of okra that makes it a potential thickening agent. I am curious about this, and I think I will try it one of these days.

G

grillqueen79

I use a roux or a slurry. A slurry is cornstarch and water or you can use sherry or white wine. I would use sherry and cornstarch for beef stew. Just let it cook down for about 15 minutes before you serve it.

J

Juliette

I usually dredge the beef in a little flour and brown the outside in a skillet before adding it to the soup. The flour helps thicken the stew, too. We like fixing it in the slow cooker and adding whatever leftover wine or sherry we have to give it some extra flavor.

The Freshness