• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Grilled Breakfast pizzas

C

Charcoal_Only

I think these pizzas would be good served any time of day but technically they are "breakfast" pizzas because they call for ground sausage and sausage gravy. You have to do the sausage gravy inside the house unless you have eyes on your grill, but the pizzas are grilled. Here's what it calls for:

• 1 tbsp veggie oil
  • 1 lb breakfast sausage
  • 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 2 + 1/2 cups milk
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 pound frozen pizza dough, thawed
  • 8 ounces of sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 scallions
  • hot sauce (optional)
Here's what you do:
Prepare an outdoor grill for medium heat. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, and cook, stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, and use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a plate.

Reserving 2 tablespoons of drippings in the skillet (drain or add oil as needed), return it to medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour, and cook, whisking frequently, until the mixture becomes loose and turns a light tan color, 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Simmer, whisking frequently, until the sauce has thickened to the consistency of thin gravy, 6 to 8 minutes. Return the cooked sausage to the skillet, and stir. Remove from the heat, cover and set aside.

Divide the pizza dough into 4 balls. Dust a clean flat work surface with flour, and roll each ball into an 8-inch circle. Transfer the dough circles to the prepared baking sheet, and brush both sides with oil.

Lightly oil the grill grates. Grill the crusts until they start to puff and distinct grill marks appear on the underside, about 1 minute. Flip. Evenly divide the Cheddar among the crusts, leaving a small well in the center of each. Immediately crack 1 egg into each well. Grill, covered, until the whites have completely set and the Cheddar has melted, 8 to 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, reheat the sausage gravy if needed. Remove the pizzas from the grill, and drizzle each with a couple spoonfuls of warm gravy. Garnish with the scallions. Serve immediately with hot sauce and any remaining gravy served on the side.

*I found this recipe on the Food Network's site. We'll be trying it out Saturday morning. ;)

C

Charred

How did this go? It sounds good! Everyone in this family loves pizza so I'm sure something like this would go over well. We'll have to try it out soon.

O

ohiotom76

The church and Catholic grade school I attended when growing up would sell pizza every Friday, and one of the pizza's they offered was an "egg" pizza. I used to love this, even though we would be eating it for lunch. The pizza was just a layer of extra virgin olive oil and fresh garlic on the dough, topped with some scrambled eggs and some slices of roasted green bell peppers. Then they would top it with a little Romano cheese, and bake the whole thing,

The smell of the extra virgin olive oil and the Romano cheese baking in the ovens was amazing. The pizza would come out just slightly browned on the top, and it tasted incredible. Plus it was very filling from all the egg - one or two slices would really get you full.

C

chefjohn

I make this but usually a large pizza not little ones. Takes about 35 minutes to cook and sometimes I will grate potato and put that on top of it. The kids loved this on weekends for breakfast.

P

Polly

This sounds really good and something that would appeal to children and teens. I'll have to give it a try one weekend when we are all around at breakfast time. The kids have two favorite things, pizza and eggs.

I

izma brush

I think these pizzas would be good served any time of day but technically they are "breakfast" pizzas because they call for ground sausage and sausage gravy. You have to do the sausage gravy inside the house unless you have eyes on your grill, but the pizzas are grilled. Here's what it calls for:

• 1 tbsp veggie oil
  • 1 lb breakfast sausage
  • 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 2 + 1/2 cups milk
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 pound frozen pizza dough, thawed
  • 8 ounces of sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 scallions
  • hot sauce (optional)
Here's what you do:
Prepare an outdoor grill for medium heat. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, and cook, stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, and use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a plate.

Reserving 2 tablespoons of drippings in the skillet (drain or add oil as needed), return it to medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour, and cook, whisking frequently, until the mixture becomes loose and turns a light tan color, 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Simmer, whisking frequently, until the sauce has thickened to the consistency of thin gravy, 6 to 8 minutes. Return the cooked sausage to the skillet, and stir. Remove from the heat, cover and set aside.

Divide the pizza dough into 4 balls. Dust a clean flat work surface with flour, and roll each ball into an 8-inch circle. Transfer the dough circles to the prepared baking sheet, and brush both sides with oil.

Lightly oil the grill grates. Grill the crusts until they start to puff and distinct grill marks appear on the underside, about 1 minute. Flip. Evenly divide the Cheddar among the crusts, leaving a small well in the center of each. Immediately crack 1 egg into each well. Grill, covered, until the whites have completely set and the Cheddar has melted, 8 to 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, reheat the sausage gravy if needed. Remove the pizzas from the grill, and drizzle each with a couple spoonfuls of warm gravy. Garnish with the scallions. Serve immediately with hot sauce and any remaining gravy served on the side.

*I found this recipe on the Food Network's site. We'll be trying it out Saturday morning. ;)
Wow! This sounds great. My husband is a huge pizza fan, we may have to try this one night for dinner. It may become a new favorite in our household. Thanks for sharing!

B

BBQteabwoi

I have never ever heard about breakfast pizzas. I will admit that this will be something that I will be trying this week and I will introduce it to my wife because I do think that it will be something that she will to try. Thanks for the recipe.

M

Mr. Cool

This seems like a very interesting recipe for my family. I had not heard of these types of pizzas but will for sure try it! Thanks for the recipe.

J

joycemcgregor

We love breakfast pizza at my house. I make it with a simple pizza dough and then use white country gravy as the base and add anything from sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, green onions, cheese, mushrooms, the possibilities are endless. I have a pizza pan that has holes in it and I use it on my grill. The bottom crust gets crunchy, the cheese melty, and the pizza has that wonderful smokey, grilled tasted. My grandson likes to "babysit" the pizza as it cooks and lets me know as soon as he things it is ready.

B

Briquet

I have never made breakfast pizza but that sounds simply mouthwatering. Maybe we'll try it this weekend; we'll probably be making a special breakfast for Easter anyway.

L

L_B

I have never made breakfast pizza but I have had it at a few different restaurants we went to for breakfast. It is really good. That is one thing about making pizza you can put whatever you want on it and have it for any meal. This would be a great idea for camping though and who doesn't like pizza?

O

oportosanto

The concept in pizza doesn't fit in my head for breakfast, but it all depends what's in it. I've had dessert pizza with Nutella and strawberries and it was delicious! :)

L

L_B

The concept in pizza doesn't fit in my head for breakfast, but it all depends what's in it. I've had dessert pizza with Nutella and strawberries and it was delicious! :)
I love dessert pizza. I have even had ice cream pizza which is amazing!! Yum! Now I want to go get one! It is so refreshing in this warm weather.

O

oportosanto

Haha, that's true, dessert pizza is the best, Italian restaurants do them better. :)

G

GabrielHerb

This recipe sounds amazing! I will definitely be trying it soon. I think adding some basil would also be a nice touch. would be great for brunch gatherings too.