• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Brisket on Drum.....Considerations?

georgierodgers

Always have done brisket on my kamado, want to give the drum a try. Looking for any pointers specific to the drum. I have a few questions....

1. Flip or not? I noticed the underside of whatever I'm cooking on the drum gets a little more done. Wondering if I should flip the brisket every couple hours? If not will definitely be going fat side down.

2. Pan or no pan? That's a lot of fat rendering directly onto a fire. Not sure that's a good thing or a bad thing. I know some don't like that singed fat flavor, I honestly don't know if I do or not, but I think I might. I would be concerned with the amount of fat that will be rendering and if that will cause any issues. If I pan, should I add water?

I would definitely rotate the rack every hour or so. Other than that would cook like I normally do. Drum seems to hold temps really well. Just bought some post oak chunks I want to put to good use. Never used oak before.

Thanks!

The Freshness