• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Burnt or Iron Flakes

B

Briquet

Sometimes it's hard to tell if I've burnt something in the cast iron skillet or if it is just iron flaking off. I was sauteing some kale last night and in that case I am pretty sure I burned it a little, but it could've been a bit of iron.

S

sheepdad

No way its iron flakes. Its probably some layers of seasoning from the pan. Carbon builds up sometimes and flakes off.

S

smokinhog

If you've got iron flaking off your pan, it's time for a new pan. I agree with sheepdad here. Most likely it is layers of seasoning from the pan. It may be time for you to have it sand blasted or burned off in the fire.

B

Briquet

The pan is not that old, so it must be a seasoning issue then. We really struggle with the seasoning, especially since we cook with a lot of acidic foods, like tomato sauce and lemon juice.

This is pretty bad when you can't distinguish if it is the iron or burnt flakes from the food. There is a big chance that you will ingest those bits of iron which the body will have a hard time eliminating. They might just end up inside you, accumulate and later on give you serious complications. Be careful and cautious.

The Freshness