• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Cast Iron soup on the grill

M

Mason

I want to make a vegetable soup in our new cast iron dutch oven (or "witch's pot," as I like to call it) but it's really too hot to do something like this inside the house. I was thinking of putting the dutch oven on the grill and cooking it that way so that the oven wouldn't heat up the whole house. Has anyone ever done this before and if so, how did you do it and how did it work out for you?

E

evelynmcgregor

I have never tried this but it sounds fantastic. I cannot wait to try it. I am sure the soup would soak up some of the wonderful smokey flavor.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
I have not done soup, but chili. That is about as close as to soup as I enjoy. It is very possible to do so. Soup has been around long before stoves were invented. If you have a gas grill it will be very similar to a gas stove. Charcoal would be a bit different. I would add coal to one side and light that side. This would allow you to have a high/medium/low heat areas.

S

sthrnfriedchick

We have done this before and it worked out just fine. In the winter months, I will just put the cast iron dutch oven in the oven and let it cook slowly all day long. It makes the house smell wonderful!

S

Smokybear

Sounds like a great idea to me. Keep it on there, low and slow, all day. I would also try adding some summer vegetables to that soup. Eggplant might add a nice, smoky, summery flavor.

V

vanessap

Yum, sounds like it would be a great tasting soup. I love soup in the summer and winter. It's one of my comfort foods. I would never have thought of making it on the grill, thank you for the suggestion. I don't see why you couldn't if you kept it on medium low so it wouldn't cook at too high a temperature. Let us know how it turns out.

J

jneanz

I like vegetables on the grill, especially root veggies. Probably with careful monitoring, it should work out okay. I just got my first cast iron skillet and boy, was that thing heavy. Another grilled soup recipes that may be good is split pea. I like mine with chunks of ham, bacon, and carrots with pearl onions and these things lend themselves to smoke flavor.

The Freshness