• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Chicken salad

B

Burg14

I've just tried chicken salad for the first time ever. I loved it! I only added chicken (cut up) and mayo. What other things can I add to this to get more flavor. I think cut up apples would be good but wouldn't they turn brown?

B

BobbyBoberry

Apples would work and the mayo would keep the apples from turning black. You can also use celery, carrot shreds, grapes cut in half and use croissants instead of plain bread. My wife also puts broken up pecans and sunflower kernels in it too. Very good and crunchy! We will sometimes just put this on top of salad greens and eat it as a salad. It's really good and very refreshing.

T

TopChef

I had it for the first time ever two years ago. I was surprised at how much I liked it because mayo sometimes skeeves me out a good bit. The recipe I like has red grapes cut in half and I put it on croissants.

M

MissPeggy

I just like mine with some mayo and celery cut up in it and sometimes add bacon to it. I also season it with a little salt and pepper and that's about it.

B

Burg14

Apples do sound good! I will have to try that. I don't think I'd like bacon in it though. That would add a lot of calories and I don't want that. I did not add celery either but I will try that too. Thanks!

B

Briquet

I like my chicken salad with mayo, celery, and a little bit of relish. I don't do apples in chicken salad, although I know it's a popular choice.

H

Hilt

Play around with spices. I love experimenting but take it from me, add a little at a time just to taste test first. I have ruined two good meals this way and its always easy to add more but it is not always easy to take the extra out after.

G

grillqueen79

I have had chicken salad with grapes and chopped walnuts. I like to put chopped shallots in my chicken salad and I usually add some pickles too.

The Freshness