• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Cleaning a deep fryer

C

cawfee

I have never done this before so while at a friends house over the weekend we were both a little puzzled. It seemed like the grease was caked on and we each took turns scrubbing it but after two hours we gave up. What is the best way to clean one of these beasts and is there anything that can be done while using it (or shortly after) to keep the grease from turned into a baked on mess?

K

Kenzie

Wow! That must really be baked on. I don't have the kind of deep fryer I think you're talking about. All I have is a little fry daddy and that's pretty simple to clean. Here's a link to several different methods of cleaning a deep fryer. Hope you can use one of them.

D

Diane Lane

I've stored the grease in mine before, in between uses, and have never seen this issue. I've also dumped out the grease, and wiped the unit out with dry paper towels, to make cleaning easier. I wonder if a baking soda paste brushed and left on for a while would help break up the grease?

K

Kenzie

That was one of the cleaning methods mentioned in my link Diane. I've never seen this issue either so it makes me wonder how long that grease has been in there or what was cooked that made it like that. Maybe cawfee will tell us. :)

A

Amelie

My fryer is pretty easy to clean as well. All I need to do is soak it in hot water for a while and then I wash it just like I wash other dishes. What kind of fryer do you have?

B

ber4

I have never seen a fryer that was that bad. Baking soda seems to clean everything though. I usually just drain my fryer when the oil is warm. I then use hot soapy water and wash it.

D

Diane Lane

My deep fryer is small, so it's all in one piece, but it would be great to have an interior compartment where the grease went and the frying actually occurred, that was removable for cooking. I'm always a little nervous cleaning anything that works on electricity.

The Freshness