• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Cleaning the Waffle Iron

B

Briquet

Is there an easy way to clean waffle irons? It drives me crazy trying to get them clean. I asked my mom for advice once and she gave me a blank look and said "Clean the waffle irons?" so she was no help.

G

grillin_n_chillin

Ha ha! What I usually do is spray the interior of the waffle iron with Pam cooking spray first, then cook the waffles. After I'm done cooking, but while the iron is still hot, I'll scrape any solid pieces off the iron. After that, I let it cool and spray a degreaser onto it and wipe it down. Then I'll hit it with a soapy dishrag real quick so the degreaser doesn't leave a residue.

T

TopChef

I think you can take a toothbrush to the cooking surface when it is cooled down. My understanding is that they only need a wipe down, so you just need a way to get the hard-to-wipe stuff out. Enter toothbrush!

B

BobbyBoberry

I don't ever do anything except take a stiff brush and brush the debris off of it and then wipe it down with a couple of clean paper towels. It's non stick, so all of it should come off.

B

BBQueen

All I ever do is take a damp dishrag to it. I don't use soap or anything, but then again I use cooking spray so I don't have chunks or anything on it.

B

Briquet

Yes, I use cooking spray too but it leaves a residue. However, it's really just trying to get into those hard to reach spots that is frustrating, so I think I'll try a toothbrush next time. Thanks!

G

grillin_n_chillin

Briquet, I started to wonder about the "correct" way to clean a waffle iron after I started to see how differently we have all been responding to this. I learned that non-stick waffle irons should NOT be sprayed with Pam, or any other type of cooking spray, so I've actually stopped spraying mine. Just thought I would pass that along in case your iron is non-stick as well. Apparently if you spray a non-stick waffle iron with cooking spray, the residue that builds up can damage the finish on the plates. :confused:

F

FireBrick

What I use is paper towel or dishcloth. I wet the towel or cloth then wipe off the residue. I am afraid to use a spatula because it might scratch the surface.

B

Briquet

Yes, I've always used a paper towel before, but getting into the crevices was very difficult.

Grillin, I had no idea we weren't supposed to use cooking spray! I will have to pass that information on, since my husband is usually the one who actually makes the waffles.

Rabbani

to Clean a Waffle Iron

When purchasing a waffle maker, invest in one that has a removable plate. Youd be so surprised how much easier your cleaning will be when you do not have to work around electrical cords to get the job done, not to mention how much safer it is.

WalterDMason

Is it an old cast iron waffle iron ? I bought mine used, took off the handles and put it on a grill at a high temp to get off the old seasoning, then seasoned it like you would normal cast iron ( many thin coats over a few days ). Then just be sure to have enough oil or butter in the mix to avoid sticking. Do not use metal to clean and scrape your waffle makers. This can damage the surface and leave scratches. Took some of steps to getting that Waffle Maker clean.