• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Cornbread Casserole

G

grillqueen79

Has anyone else ever tried cornbread casserole before? It's something that we used to have as kids and I will be bringing it back out for mine because it is filling and cheap. This and a crock-pot full of dried beans makes a very inexpensive meal and it goes a long way.

Ingredients:
1/4 pound butter, melted
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
1 (8.5 ounce) package corn bread mix
1 ounce sour cream
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine butter, whole corn, cream corn, corn muffin mix and sour cream. Fold all ingredients together, pour into 2 quart casserole dish. Bake for 1 hour.

T

TopChef

I tried this recently, but it did not make a good impression at my house. I thought it was okay, but the children complained, if you can believe it, of it being too sweet.

S

smokinhog

If you add some jalapenos and shredded cheddar cheese to that recipe, you'd have Mexican corn bread. We love Mexican corn bread any time and especially with a pot of beans. This is making me hungry.

G

grillqueen79

Smokinhog I am definitely adding jalapeno, cheddar cheese, and maybe even a little bacon next time I make it. I added some diced onions to the batch I made the other day and they worked well too.

T

Tessa

Cornbread lends itself very well to Mexican recipes. I do something similar to this that's more like a pie. I layer cornbread mix and corn on the bottom, salsa, ground beef, and cheese in the middle, and another layer of cornbread on the top. Quite tasty, but it's a one-time kind of thing--the cornbread dries out the meat too much for it to make for good leftovers.

G

grillqueen79

Tessa that sounds really good too. I think my kids would probably enjoy that. I wonder if you used a can of undrained Rotel instead of salsa if that would keep it from drying out so much.

B

Ben

Tessa that sounds really good too. I think my kids would probably enjoy that. I wonder if you used a can of undrained Rotel instead of salsa if that would keep it from drying out so much.

That would probably work and give it a Latin flavor.

This recipe sounds good but it sounds really filling! I don't think I would be bothered by the sweetness either. I think it would be good for a side dish as well.

T

Tessa

It's perfect for parties. Whenever we have a big group of people come over, I whip up a dish. The sweetness works perfectly with the salsa. You can also add a packet of taco seasoning to round out the flavor and give it more oomph.

I'll have to try the Rotel trick--that might work out!

G

Grill Master

My dad would make a cornbread casserole every Thanksgiving. I was never that crazy about it. I wouldn't mind trying the Mexican version though. Jalapenos can only improve any dish.

I haven't encountered ever cornbread casserole, even cornbread itself. But I have been hearing from a lot of people that it's very good. And with this simple and easy recipe, I think it's very doable without having much of a hassle, and that soon I will be able to taste it myself, and share my opinion about it.

The Freshness