• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Deep Fried Insects

J

joshposh

I had a few deep fried insects about 3 years ago and it wasn't that bad really. It's not hardy like deep fried animal protein, but it still was edible.

My question to everyone is, have you tried it before? Would you try it for the first after reading this post? If you have a recipe for them with pictures please share.

DeepFriedInsect-Thailand.jpg

B

Burg14

Wow... I think I might have just puked a little in my mouth. What kind of insects are those? I don't think I would ever eat an insect unless it was the only thing to eat and I was starving to death.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
I never have gotten close to seeing one, let alone trying it. Part of me would, but it may take a few beers to get the other part of me there.

T

Thyme2

Yuck. I've heard people say they enjoy eating them but I have a feeling it's an acquired taste. Maybe once you get past the thought of eating a bug you can enjoy it? I hate insects and don't know that I'd want to eat them.

J

joshposh

Wow... I think I might have just puked a little in my mouth. What kind of insects are those? I don't think I would ever eat an insect unless it was the only thing to eat and I was starving to death.

It's not that bad at all. It's a cultural thing. Some part of the world they think that insects are more tastier then what the westerners eat on a daily basis. As long as you cook it and kill off all bacteria, it's very good eating. It's all about seasoning and preparation.

J

joshposh

Yuck. I've heard people say they enjoy eating them but I have a feeling it's an acquired taste. Maybe once you get past the thought of eating a bug you can enjoy it? I hate insects and don't know that I'd want to eat them.

You just need to cook it right. No you are not going to pop one in your mouth while it is still alive. If you cook it you will see that the consistency is going to be exactly like that of friend chicken.

Just prepare it like you are making breaded chicken. Dip it into some bread batter and deep fry it. You wont be able to taste the difference unless you inspect the meat.

C

Canbeef

Well Thyme2, I think you are right in that you just have to get over the fact that you are eating a bug and you'll be fine. I've always been game for eating strange, new foods so I would probably give it a try if it was offered.

L

L_B

Thanks but I think I will pass. lol I don't think my mind could get past the fact that they are insects no matter how they are prepared. I was gagging just looking at the picture.

The Freshness