• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Deep Fried PB&J

S

SEA81

My boyfriend has been talking about deep fried PB&J since we got together, and I am not a big fan of PB&J anytime, so I always turned down his offer to cook them for us. Well, I finally tasted a little bit today, and I must say, it's actually pretty good. Anyway, he made a batter out of sugar, flour and almond milk (he's vegan - I know, horrible). Just thought I'd pass that along. Could be a great treat for kids (though 30-something year old men like it too). :)

S

ShadowAudio

Fried PB&J? Never tried it, but it sure sounds good. Only bad soundg part is the almond milk haha!

S

saucygal

Vegans aren't "horrible"! We could all learn a thing or two from their responsible way to eating. As for frying PB&J, I don't know...how do the sandwich insides not turn to mush?

T

TopChef

Sounds like something I would be willing to give a try to. It is true that just about anything tastes good deep fried. I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter and jellies, but I bet they are better fried.

M

MsrCfsg

I think I saw this on Bizzarre Foods. Theres some guy in Louisanna I think
who likes to deep fry EVERYTHING. I will try to search for the video on Youtube.

P

Parker

Deep fried PB &J . I have heard it all. ;)
Thanks for the batter recipe. Flour, sugar and almond milk. It think I will try that out on something. I'm not sure what yet though. I'm not a vegan, but lactose intolerant.So this will work for me. I also love almond milk.

J

Jessi

Mmm, I'd eat it! Most things deep fried are pretty good, even if they sound really weird.

So did he just make a sandwich as usual, dip it in that batter, and deep fry it? Anything special to know?

F

FireBrick

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich is one of my usual breakfast foods but I know nothing about deep fried PBJ. It sounds intriguing. I might try it once but since it's deep fried, I don't think I will be a huge fan of it. :)

K

Kabob

Deep fried PB&J sounds like it would be a good dessert. I'm not sure how healthy deep-frying is, even if you are vegan, haha. I don't think being vegan cancels it out. ;)

B

BBQueen

I don't deep fry anything but we used to make grilled PBJ when I was younger. Basically it is like a grilled cheese only with peanut butter and jelly inside not cheese. It was delicious.

S

shaun

Vegans aren't "horrible"! We could all learn a thing or two from their responsible way to eating. As for frying PB&J, I don't know...how do the sandwich insides not turn to mush?

Hardly, well-raised meat is good for you, sugar and flour is not.

As for this recipe, I've never thought of deep frying peanut butter and jelly, it's a novel idea! I imagine the jam and peanut butter would be molten together. I shall try this out when I next have a treat.

M

Mrs. Pirz

I ate a lot of peanut butter once when I was a kid and ended up having it come back up - with that being said I think deep fried pb&j would be bad for my memory taste buds BUT it does sound yummy for those who like it. I will have my hubby try this - he loves pb&j's.

B

beckyv1265

My kids would probably love it. I usually grill them like I do with cheese sandwichs. My kids like them with chicken noodle soup.

E

Epicfied

This is interesting. I'm never a huge deep fried fan though. The grease usually makes me sick if I have too much, even after patting it off. I will probably try this at some point though...maybe. I'll probably try what Becky said and grill it like grilled cheese, though.

J

Jenine

I've had toasted PB&J before, but never deep fried. This is a new concept to me. It'll make an excellent lunch, snack or even dessert. I always loved a good PB&J sandwich ever since I was a little kid. It was always my favorite thing to eat.

P

psufootball

I've had it twice before and it's very good. Just gotta make sure you use a lot of jelly or it will end up a bit too dry.

D

dissn_it

This is a new one to me. I had never heard of a deep fried PB&J before, either. It sounds like it would be messy to make but usually messy means delicious!

H

Hilt

I eat very few fried foods anymore but I would try it at least once, just to see if its something the kids would like. They are too picky lately and its driving us both up the wall.

R

Rose @ Walnut Acre

I'm not sure if I would try deep fried PB&J or not. It sounds like something my husband would try though. I do like the idea of grilled PB&J and I think the kids would like too.

S

SmokeyJoe

Heck, why not??? I'm the adventurous type and I'm just about willing to try anything. I've had deep fried Twinkies so why not a deep fried pbj? lol

The Freshness