• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Doctoring up frozen patties

B

Burg14

We are at the beach and the people I am with bought frozen hamburg patties. Gross! I need a good way to doctor them up so they taste better. Any ideas? I'm a fresh meat person all the way!

D

dconklin

Can you let them thaw completely before cooking? I have never bought these before. I would say maybe add some bbq sauce on top of them. I think I had them at somebody's house before and they seemed to be a little dry. I am not sure what all you have with you to work with, but sauces may help to taste better and keep them from drying out.

D

dissn_it

I avoid those frozen patties, too. I have never had to cook them but I agree that BBQ sauce would be a good idea. If none is available, I am betting somebody brought ketchup and cola. If you mix an equal part of the ketchup to an equal part of cola, you get a simple BBQ sauce that is better than no sauce at all. It actually is pretty good and you can add anything you want to it. If you add tobasco, you get a sauce with a kick.

S

shaun

I think the best option would be to let the patties defrost and feed them to your dog if you have one, haha. I'm averse to frozen hamburger patties, the last time I ate one was a very bad experience.

J

Jessi

Cheese! Seriously, cheese makes everything better. I have had to deal with them occasionally and just make sure I have plenty of toppings available so that the patties are -not- the limelight. Once you add cheese, condiments, tomatoes, lettuce, etc, you don't really taste the meat any more anyway.

R

Rokurai

You should obviously defrost/thaw them out first before cooking them, but , frozen patties in general are pretty gross, try to avoid them. I literally never ate them (home made at least) after the first time I tried them. Like what the person above me said, cheese makes everything taste better.

B

Burg14

So you all pretty much think the same that I do, gross! We tried to doctor them with some spices and then loaded them with Swiss cheese. They still tasted pretty gross. Thanks for the suggestions!

H

Hilt

I hate them. My sister in law tried to get us to eat these ones about a year ago. Per her and everyone we know that tried them they are "healthier" to eat, no idea what brand but they come in a light green bag. I think even throwing them in the trash did not help them, they were horrible.

S

SarahLizzie

We are at the beach and the people I am with bought frozen hamburg patties. Gross! I need a good way to doctor them up so they taste better. Any ideas? I'm a fresh meat person all the way!

If you use a mesquite seasoning on the burgers it will almost mask the frozen taste. While I let frozen patties thaw, I let them thaw with the seasoning already on the burger. It helps the seasoning seep into the meat better while giving the flavors time to marinade. Play with the seasonings, some can do wonders to alter tastes and mask others.

We actually get a cheap mesquite seasoning at the dollar store to use for frozen patties. It works out great every time.

J

Jenine

I believe in making hamburgers from fresh meat myself, but there is a way to flavor frozen beef patties. The secret, which really isn't a secret, is Worcestershire sauce. It gives any burger whether frozen or from fresh meat that juicy taste. You should also put salt (seasoned salt or regular salt) along with some lemon pepper, regular pepper, garlic powder (if you love garlic) and if you're a fan of spicy food, then put some red pepper on the patties. When the burgers get close to being finished, top it off with cheddar or pepper jack (I hate yellow or processed cheese).

Karen

Has anyone ever heard of a trick to making sure your hamburgers dont dry out while cooking? That trick being to form your patties around an ice cube. Now a frozen pattie also fries with ice(obviously, as its frozen) and you can take advantage of that rather than limiting your possibilities. The reason for frozen burgers being labled as "gross" are 1- they are,for the most part, thin patties, in comparison to the size of the hand formed burgers at home. 2- you immediately think fast food restaurant burger, tasteless and rubbery. However frozen burgers are about convenience,preformed,ready to go.Additionally the quality of meat ranges from, no meat,as in vegan, to half meat half soy, 100% beef, sirloin, and angus.Weight per burger range from the thin single pattie, 1/4 pd. 1/3 pd. and yes, 1/2 pounders too. You can choose to defrost the patties,making it no different than taking frozen meat out of your freezer to defrost and form your burgers,or you can start cooking them frozen. Now I personally have screwed up burgers, both frozen and hand formed. And it wasn't the meat that caused these screw ups,it was 100% caused by me. Firstly, its almost impossible to make a bad meal if you are doing nothing else other than cooking. If you are talking on the phone, watching TV, running after children then you are distracted and more than likely your meal will turn out "gross" Secondly, and especially with meats,if you cook it the wrong way,it will not end up tasting the way you'd like. I am guilty of both.With frozen and hand formed burgers I have made the biggest mistake. By not paying attention I have ended up basically boiling my burgers, and making tasteless burgers. Boiling by either throwing onions(which sweat a ton of water out of them when cooking) in the frying pan to fry up with the burgers,allowing grease to fill up in the pan along with liquid seasoning such as Wistocheshire sauce and boiling a rubbery mess, or by adding way too many ingredients to flavor the meat which either boil out or fall off because i was trying to cook lazy and rather than getting in there with my hands and mixing any season through every inch of the meat,I threw spices on top as the food was cooking. Burgers,be it frozen or hand formed are the tastiest when what you are tasting is the flavor of the meat and not a number of added spices. Simple pepper while frying and salt when they are finished.Of course your pan needs to be hot when you drop those patties in,sear quickly and well,then slightly lower heat and fry until the inside is to your liking. Frozen burgers themselves do not create water in the pan, and searing quickly seels the juice inside that was kept moist by the ice throughout the pattie.I just kinda felt that everyone was being a tad to hard on the Frozen Burger when it certainly doesn't have to be that way.

bitpushr

Slow and Low
Staff member
Haven't tried it but that sounds super interesting and I'll be sure to try an ice cube in the hamburger paddy next time I'm freezing it. Great idea! Love the originality.