• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Does it run in the family?

J

JohnB

My guess is that people who enter barbecue competitions picked up their competitive spirit somewhere. It may have been from a father, a grandfather or even brothers and cousins. In my own family, the men have a long history of cooking together, but we've never entered any real competitions.

D

dashboardc33

I'm not sure if cooking runs in the family. I guess if you are brought up with people who love to cook and are always trying new meals, and then when you go out on your own and are eating boxed meals, you will want to know how to cook. I love cooking but my mom doesn't. So I guess it doesn't really run in the family for me.

S

streakanime

I actually think that cooking does run in the family to some degree. I say that because there was one person in my house hold that did ALL of the cooking growing up. I was never taught how to cook anything and no one is teaching my siblings how to cook either. I think in runs in the family in a sense of... If someone knows how to cook it (and they teach it) then it does... But if no one in the family really knows how to cook (or maybe they just do not cook well...) they are not really likely to spread that skill down the family tree. I got pretty fortunate in the fact that my fiance knows how to cook really well. He is actually pretty passionate about cooking. Which is great for me, I LOVE to eat, haha.

B

Bloom

I wish it was hereditary!! My grandmother and my mom cook amazing. They have such a skill in the kitchen. They can make up anything that they want and make it taste so good. Now, when I'm in the kitchen, let's just say the main course flavor is called burnt. I know that it may be a skill to gain over time. And hopefully one day I wake up with it, but for right now, I don't think it runs in the family. Haha.

S

soulglazed

Well you have to remember that a LOT of things in life can lead to a competitive spirit. I'm extremely competitive and nobody I've known in my family is that way and what's made me that way, in my opinion, is a lot of the struggles I've gone through. I'm sure it can run in the family though because I mean, when you have a kid, either they'll be interested by what you're doing or won't be and both of those happen plenty so it all depends.

J

JohnB

We were brought up in the kitchen, and there was always a recipe of one sort or another lying on the counter. We have a large family, so everyone pitched in, even though we had a cook. Dad worked all day at the family business, but he loved being in the kitchen in charge of everything at night. We loved being with him, so that's where we were, too.

S

shaun

It often runs in the family because traditions are passed down through the generations. I grew up watching my Dad cooking on the grill and he taught me basic grilling skills at an early age. The tradition and knowledge has passed from my Dad, to me and now to my son.

The Freshness