• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Eggs Benedict with Crab Meat

B

Briquet

Have you ever had eggs Benedict with crab meat instead of Canadian bacon? I had it this weekend and it was divine. I'd love to make it at home except there is that whole pesky poaching an egg issue.

T

TopChef

That sounds amazing. I am not a fan of Canadian bacon, but I love crab meat. Plus, I think it would go so well with the Hollandaise sauce. Now you have me hungry, and it is not yet time for lunch!

B

Ben

That sounds pretty good but I'm not a fan poached eggs! I love frying my eggs in a pan. Not only is it easier, but I get to not worry about keeping it together in the water. Kudos to you if you can do that.

C

Charcoal

That sounds good! I am a huge crab meat fan, so I would love to try that recipe. I don't think I'll be totally okay with the poaching part though. I never seem to get it right.

O

ohiotom76

Holandaise and poached egg would be delicious over crab! I would probably hit it with a little Old Bay seasoning, and perhaps a splash or two of Tobasco to keep things authentic.

Do you not like the taste of poached egg? Or just hate making it? I suppose you could make a mini omelette and fold it into quarters before assembling it, if you dislike a poached egg, or just fry it sunny side up with a lid on until the yolk sets.

Poaching an egg is dead simple, really. Just bring a few inches of water to a gentle simmer, and crack an egg into a bowl (to make sure the yolk isn't broken), then gently lower it into the water to poach. As long as it's at a simmer, the egg should not stick to the bottom. You can fish off some of the excess egg whites floating to the top while its cooking with a slotted spoon. Then just gently lift the egg out with the slotted spoon onto a smooth plate and blot out any excess water.

I would also suggest the Julia Childs blender method for a Holandaise sauce.

J

JillyBilly

Oh this sounds amazing. I pick up fresh meat every week at least once in the summer. It's a favorite of ours. I might try this. Never even thought about it.

H

Hilt

I have not but I would be willing to try it. I headed out to a store this weekend that I thought would have some crab meat in stock but it turns out they are totally out, so much so in fact that they had to put a sign up. I guess I am not the only one craving it.