• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Eggs in the cast iron

T

TopChef

My cast iron skillet is well seasoned. Few things stick. But I find I still have to use plenty of butter when I fry an egg, and even then, some sticks on the pan. Is there something else I can do to keep eggs from sticking?

B

BarbiQ

Maybe you've got the pan too hot? I'm not sure. You could try a little olive oil instead of the butter. It can handle higher temperatures than the butter can.

B

Briquet

I've had trouble with eggs in cast iron too, but in my case I assumed it was uneven seasoning. Since you say yours is well-seasoned, I'm not sure what to tell you.

H

Hilt

I am guessing the pan is too hot and you are not using nearly enough fat. Can you cook using it? I know some prefer not to but that would be my best suggestion. My mother did this for years and the eggs always came out perfect.

T

TopChef

I have tried adjusting the temperature to no avail. I think I must just not be using enough fat. I am stuck in the idea that fat is always bad for you, so less butter is better, even though I know that is not exactly true.

S

sheepdad

I don't know why but I usually have to use a little more butter than normal with eggs.

B

BarbiQ

You need enough butter for the eggs to sort of float a little above the surface of the pan as the butter bubbles from the heat. Without that, it pretty much is going to just stick. Listen to your eggs, they are trying to tell you something.

friedday_zpsfc6b302e.gif

T

TopChef

All this time, my eggs have been trying to reach me from my avatar. Look how unhappy they are! Alright, next time, butter it up! I bet they taste a lot better that way, too.

A

Amelie

Have you tried to use a 0 fat nonstick cooking spray? If you are worried about the fat you can use that and it works perfectly from my experience.

B

BarbiQ

Right, it doesn't have to be butter. It can be another type of oil. I just prefer butter because it is a more natural substance than some of the strangely processed oils being sold. Also, the natural fats in the butter will help keep the pan properly seasoned.

Cappy

Ok take ya black iron pot fry a lb of bacon then crack your eggs in the bacon drippings make sure they hot so the eggs get that brown crunchy crust while staying soft and white and amazing. Yea I know it will prolly kill me but I'm gonna die happy and dont do it "That" often.:yo:

T

TopChef

As always, Cappy, I like how you think. You know what else works? Sausage grease. I love it when those little tidbits of sausage get mixed in with the scrambled eggs.

The Freshness