• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

BBQ Filleted Pork Fruit Cake Sandwich

S

skywatcher

Hi! I'm going to share this recipe of ours that we've just experimented on. We've tried this last Christmas, and I wasn't sure why we liked it, haha! I'm not sure if this is to your tastes, though.

You're actually going to have to cook it in two sets: the pork, itself, and the fruit cake. It's like having a main dish in a dessert, and then having another set of dessert.

The general idea is that, imagine you're eating a pork barbecue sandwich, but instead of bread, it's cake. So it's something that's actually pretty heavy.

This takes time, though, so you better have the cake prepared first and then actually cook the pork during the day of serving. I'm sorry I don't have pictures yet because I can't find the camera yet.

(This is actually my mother's recipe, haha!)

For the cake:
2 tbsp chopped candied citron
2 tbsp milk
1 egg
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup dark rum
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup dried currants
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/8 cup chopped dried cherries
1/8 cup chopped dried mango

You should soak the fruits first in 1/4 cup rum for at least a day. You should cover them tightly and store at room temperature. Once done, preheat the oven to 325 decgrees F, and then butter a 6x3-inch round pan or loaf pan and line it with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, you should cream together the butter and the brown sugar until it's fluffy. Beat the egg in, and whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and the cinnamon. You should then mixed into butter and sugar in three batches, alternating with milk. Stir in the fruits from earlier, then scrape the batter into the pan.

Bake this in the oven for 40-45 minutes, then cool in the pan for 10 minutes.

Cut one piece of parchment paper and one piece cheesecloth, each large enough to wrap around the cake. You then moisten cheesecloth with 1 tbsp rum. You should arrange the cheesecloth on top of the parchment paper, and unmold the cake into it. You then cut the a circle into the center of the cake (how large depends on you), and separate it from the rest of the batch.

The circle you just cut becomes the "dessert", while the remaining "crust" part (or wheel, depending on how large was the portion you cut) becomes the "sandwich" of our barbecue later on.

Wrap the cheesecloth closely to the surface of both cakes, then wrap it with paper. Place it in an airtight tin and then wait for 2 weeks before eating.

For the pork:
Marinade:
6 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and very finely chopped
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 small bunch of thyme (leaves picked and very finely chopped)
150ml organic tomato ketchup (your choice, I recommend Heinz)
1 orange (zest and juice)

Pork:
4x400g higher welfare pork fillets
Sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 handful of fresh coriander, leaves picked and chopped
Juice of optional 1 lemon

For the marinade, crush up the cumin, fennel seeds and cloves in a pestle and mortal. Mix in the paprika, orange zest and juice, thyme, garlic, ketchup and balsamic vinegar. We season the pork fillets iwth salt and pepper, then toss them in most of the marinade until they're completely coated. This should be done for at least an hour.

(If you h ave metal or wooden skewers, lay down the fillets side by side and skewer them together about 2.5cm apart).

When you're ready to cook, simply put the meat on to a barbecue or under a hot grill for 15-20 minutes or until nicely charred. Everytime you turn the meat, brush it with the leftover marinade so you can get this sticky glaze. When you're done, put the fillets on a big platter and let them rest for about 5 minutes. Slice the meat between the skewers (or just maybe in half), then sprinkle over some chopped coriander or squeeze over some lemon juice if you want.

Preparation
This is the fun part.

After setting up the fruit cake (you better leave the dessert cake alone, haha! Bring out the "crust" cake), you put the pork fillets on the center along with a fresh batch of vegetables. Make sure the "crust" cake is already sliced depending on the number of persons you want to serve (this can serve up to 4-6 persons at a time, depending on how much you're willing to give).

Then, on the plate, just sandwich the pork in the fruit cake, add some barbecue sauce if you want, and then dine away. It's not exactly a "dinner"-type dish, but it's certainly something to tickle tongues, haha!