• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Found a GREAT casserole recipe!

• Thread starter grillin_n_chillin
  • Start date
G

grillin_n_chillin

I found a great breakfast casserole recipe through All Recipes. I don't have the link to the recipe itself at the moment but at this point, I've got it memorized -- we've been cooking one a week for about three weeks now! All you have to do is buy Pillsbury crescent roll dough in a seamless sheet and lay it out in a 9x13 casserole dish. Top it with a pound of browned and drained ground sausage of your choice and then pour in 8 scrambled eggs. Last, top all of it with two cups of mozzarella cheese and two cups of cheddar cheese, both shredded. Cook it at 325 until the egg no longer runs, about 45 minutes in my oven. (Side note: the original recipe said it could be done in as little as 25 minutes.)

B

Briquet

That could be good. Do you notice that characteristic Pillsbury roll taste in the casserole or is it overshadowed by the sausage, egg, and cheese?

G

grillin_n_chillin

It's overshadowed, Briquet. Mostly what you taste is the cheese and sausage, to be completely honest. I notice the texture of the dough more than the taste itself.

B

Briquet

Yes, I can see that. I have no problem with tasting mostly cheese and sausage, either. ;) I only asked because I used to love Pillsbury rolls but now I am tired of the taste.

G

grillin_n_chillin

I'm all about the cheese and sausage, too, ha! We are taking a break from this casserole this week and probably just eating cold cereal for breakfast, but before that I'd made the casserole every week for about 3 weeks running. I love how easy it is to make and how maybe half an hour or so in the kitchen gets you breakfast for the next 4-5 days (depending on how many servings you cut the casserole into). First couple of times we made it, I cut it into 8 servings, but this last one I cut it into 10 and nobody seemed to notice the difference. ;)

H

hotcoals

That sounds more like a frittata, except for the crust made by the rolls. It also sounds like a pretty good idea for breakfast this weekend. Do you remember the name of the recipe, so it will be easier to find?

G

grillin_n_chillin

Hotcoals, I can't remember the exact name of the recipe, but if you go to the All Recipes site, click on Breakfast to narrow search results down to just breakfast recipes, and then organize them by popularity. It'll be the first casserole returned in the results.

O

ohiotom76

Wouldn't the dough still be kind of raw and soggy from all the moist ingredients piled on top of it? I would be concerned about it not getting cooked, and being kind of flimsy on the bottom when trying to plate it. Or does the egg hold it all together?

Egg pizza is a fun alternative to this, that's sort of along the same lines. We would typically spread the dough out in a traditional pizza pan, making sure there is a nice rim around the edge, and poking some holes in the bottom to prevent it from rising too much in a given spot - then bake the dough partially in the oven, before taking it out and adding the scrambled eggs and other toppings, to continue baking.