• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Fresh salsa

G

grillqueen79

We have tons of tomatoes right now so I decided to make some homemade salsa I found this recipe online and it is really good. As a matter of fact I am about to go make some more!

Ingredients:

• 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
  • 2 small cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeds removed, chopped
  • 2 hot chili peppers, Serrano or Jalapeno, finely chopped
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
  • 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • salt and pepper
Preparation:

Put chopped onion and garlic in a strainer; pour 2 cups boiling water over them then let drain throughly. Discard water. Cool.
Combine onions and garlic with chopped tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours to blend flavors.
Makes about 2 cups of salsa.

H

Hilt

There is literally nothing better than fresh salsa. If we are out at a restaurant we will not order it unless it is made fresh in front of us. After a year of asking some of our favorites places to dine out many have agreed to it. This is a good keeper for at home, quick and simple too.

G

grillin_n_chillin

I am so picky about salsa and the last Mexican restaurant I ate at really disappointed me; their salsa was too thin. I've been thinking about trying to make it at home for a while now so I may just have to try this out!

B

BBQueen

We love fresh salsa here but I don't like it when the stuff is mushy. I buy a seasoning packet from the grocery store that cost 99 cents and I mix it with fresh tomatoes, fresh green and jalapeno peppers and fresh onions. It's so flavorful and much better than the crap that comes from the store.

C

Charcoal

Our salsa recipe is pretty much the same. Last Sunday we made fresh salsa for our family cookout. The tangy salsa was perfect for our whole wheat nachos, and together they made a great appetizer.

O

ohiotom76

That is certainly an interesting technique with the garlic and onion. Is that to take the bite off of them a bit? I've heard of soaking onions in ice cold water or milk to take some of the harshness off of them, but this is the first time I've heard to use boiling water.

This is very similar to how I make salsa as well. except I generally use my favorite brand of crushed tomatoes when I am making a salsa, or coarsely chopped diced tomatoes when I am making a pico de gallo.

J

Jessi

That is certainly an interesting technique with the garlic and onion. Is that to take the bite off of them a bit? I've heard of soaking onions in ice cold water or milk to take some of the harshness off of them, but this is the first time I've heard to use boiling water.

Yep, it's basically just to take the edge of them. It's an alternative to sauteeing them:

http://lifehacker.com/5982496/de-flame-onions-with-boiling-water

I would personally rather just toss them in a pan and sautee them for a couple minutes instead of waiting on the water to boil.

IRQVET

Had an ex-Execute Chef turned Deputy Sheriff buddy of mine who used to make us his salsa. It was fantastic! EVERYONE tried to get his receipe, but it was a closely guarded secret as he put it, "When I retire, I'm starting a salsa company."

All I could ever get out of him was all the ingredients go in the oven.

bitpushr

Slow and Low
Staff member
Had an ex-Execute Chef turned Deputy Sheriff buddy of mine who used to make us his salsa. It was fantastic! EVERYONE tried to get his receipe, but it was a closely guarded secret as he put it, "When I retire, I'm starting a salsa company."

All I could ever get out of him was all the ingredients go in the oven.
Damn, too bad he didn't share the secret recipe!

The Freshness