• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Fried or baked

R

rayne

We're having a family cookout this weekend with hot dogs and fries. The current discussion is to bake or fry the fries. I'm talking about the frozen ones from the grocery store. I say baked is good and healthier. He says fried is better. Which do you like?

D

DipsyDo

Fried is always better. It may not be better for you but good hot French fries with lots of salt are to die for. I'm a fry nut anyway. These days I limit myself to fried foods only occasionally. Watching the waistline you know.

R

Red Boots

I vote for baked. With a little olive oil on the pan, it'll give the fries a slight bit of that fried flavor. Adding paprika and black pepper can give them a little boost, too. I love mine with seasoned salt, but that stuff is not exactly good for you!

C

Cole

It really depends! I usually choose to bake frozen fries, but think it's all a matter of preference. Fried fries are also very good, and usually have a bit more crunch to them.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
My wife bakes them. But we also tend to get sweet potato fries instead of regular ones. Not sure if that makes a difference.

K

Kateri

I have had them both ways and I prefer to have them fried. They never get crispy enough for me when they are baked and they always seem to have that metal pan flavor to them. I've never tried drizzling some olive oil on them before baking though. I wonder how crispy they get when they are made that way?

A

Amelie

I love them fried because I really like them to be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. When they are baked, they are not crispy enough in my opinion.

J

joshposh

I prefer to fry the french fries. You just need to research on the right oil to use. That is where the health issue lies. Just stay away from vegetable oil.

T

Thyme2

I like fried french fries but I would bake them for health reasons. I can't eat a lot of fried foods without paying for it later. I would say bake since not everyone likes fried foods.