• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Fryer oil

G

grillin_n_chillin

How often do you guys change your fryer oil? Do you extend the life of the oil by straining it through cheese cloth? Our oil has gotten fairly dark but I hate the thought of throwing so much away. Would straining it help or should I just replace it altogether?

J

joshposh

I would just strain it several times. As long as it still looks good and you constant heat it to the right temperature to kill all the bacteria, it should still be good. I think others here would disagree with me, but that's what I would do. If it clears up after several strainings, then why not?

G

grillin_n_chillin

I guess I'll have to strain it and see how it looks then. Right now it's looking pretty dark and I don't know if straining it will change its color.

J

joshposh

Once you do use a very fins strainer, you will see that most of the particles will be removed from the oil and it will look much lighter then it did before. If it still look black and smelly, you might just need to get rid of it. It really depends on and I'm not there to take a actual look at it. Strain it several times, and see if it clears up a bit. Cooking it in high temperatures will kill any bacteria in there.

A

Amelie

For me, that would depend on how many times I have used it and what I have used it for. I normally change the oil every 10 days or so if I use it often.

D

Diane Lane

I don't use my deep fryer enough for it to get dark. I leave it in there for several months, then if I don't plan on using it for a while, I dump the oil out and clean the fryer, and pack it up in the pantry. I used to leave it sitting on the counter all the time, but my kitchen is way too small for anything unnecessary to be left sitting around taking up space. I would say if the oil smells bad and is dark, dump it out and start with fresh oil after you at least wipe it out.