• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Garden herbs fire

R

Renee

My mother works in the garden a lot and every other week or so she burns all the weeds and old herbs she dug up. The other day I started wondering if it would be a good idea to cook something over that fire, since it goes on for hours and sometimes it smells really good.

Has anyone ever tried cooking over herbal fire?

K

Kenzie

There are many recipes out there they tell you how to do just that. You may want to separate the herbs from the weeds though. I wouldn't want to eat anything cooked over a bunch of weeds. I can tell you that fish is wonderful when sprigs of rosemary are laid on the grill. The flavor is mouth watering.

T

TopChef

What a fun idea! I would love experimenting. I agree that I would be careful about what weeds are in the fire. But wouldn't it be fun to see what herbs work best in the fire?

O

Over Easy

That is a very good idea. I never thought of that before. I like the idea of the aroma from certain herbs simmering into whatever you're cooking.

K

Kenzie

I've even seen a recipe or two that calls for green pine boughs laid over the fire. I'm not sure about that one though. Depending on what meat is being cooked I have the mental picture of eating a pine tree. :p

B

Briquet

I've never thought about it, but I think you could get a really nice flavor cooking over the herbs. The tricky part will be convincing your mom to leave the weeds out of it.

R

Renee

Kenzie, as long as it doesn't taste like car air freshener, I'm all for it ;) It actually sounds quite intriguing.

As for weeds, I think a lot of them are actually considered good herbs. St. John's wort or dandelion, for example. I'm becoming strangely enthusiastic about this idea, actually. I feel that next weekend will find me experimenting with several herb-themed fires in the garden!

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Kenzie, as long as it doesn't taste like car air freshener, I'm all for it ;) It actually sounds quite intriguing.

As for weeds, I think a lot of them are actually considered good herbs. St. John's wort or dandelion, for example. I'm becoming strangely enthusiastic about this idea, actually. I feel that next weekend will find me experimenting with several herb-themed fires in the garden!

Technically most herbs are weeds. I tried to find the article I read about it a long time ago but it may be long gone. Here are two articles on it that may help though.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8171873_weeds-herbs.html

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...just-a-weed-or-is-it-weeds-that-are-herbs.htm

One thing I do not think either mention is mint. Very much a weed, but it serves a purpose.

R

Renee

Jason, mint sounds like a brilliant idea for smoking meat! I've never done this, so I don't know how much it will smell like mint, as opposed to just smoke. I wonder if food can gain any of the herbs' healthy properties from soaking up the smoke.

B

Briquet

I wonder if food can gain any of the herbs' healthy properties from soaking up the smoke.

That's an interesting idea. I never considered whether herbal properties would be conveyed in the smoke. My guess would be they aren't, but it'd be fun to study.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Jason, mint sounds like a brilliant idea for smoking meat! I've never done this, so I don't know how much it will smell like mint, as opposed to just smoke. I wonder if food can gain any of the herbs' healthy properties from soaking up the smoke.

I honestly cannot answer that. Part of me wants to say no. I know you can make oils out of the herbs for health properties.

On the other side I believe it was the Egyptions who smoked chamonile, not sure as a cigarette style or incense style for a rejuvenation and/or mind cleansing. I believe Majoram has a calming effect. I believe Scotch Marigold (yes it is a herb) is smoked in a pipe. I know there are other herbs that are smoked also.

I do have some dried sage I will toss in the fire when sitting around it as I love the smell. Friends from India used to cleanse their house of negativity once a year by burning sage around/inside the home.

D

Darren Hesbie

I think if it smells good the definitely this is good idea to cook something over that herb fire but in case it blow bad smell then you must avoid doing so. There is most probably that recipe you are cooking on herbal fire would take that smell and lose the actual taste.
Majority of people in backward areas or villages are using this kind of fire for cooking recipes. You must depend upon the smell of herbs if good you can cook.

H

hotcoals

Jason, I believe burning sage to cleanse an area was also something that many Native American tribes incorporated in their rituals. To me a weed is useless for food or medicine, so herbs aren't weeks, in my opinion. I'll have to look up what the technical definition of weed is, I guess.

B

BarbiQ

May I ask why she burns all the herbs as she digs them up? Wouldn't it be a good idea to save them and dry them out for usage? Forgive me for asking, but I don't understand why they would be destroyed if someone could use them. Are they bug eaten or damaged in some way?

T

Tessa

Hmm...I can see mint doing well with grilled lamb. I've never tried mint with any other type of meat, so I'm not sure how I'd feel about it on a steak.

I'm curious about why she burns it, too. Just too much to hang up and dry? Nowhere to put it?

The Freshness