• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Grilled baguette and olive oil dip

M

MedRare

My kids love grilled baguettes slices dipped in olive oil. I mix olive oil with garlic powder and salt and they dip the grilled bread into it instead of using butter. Sometimes I will let the oil sit for a couple of hours with roasted red peppers to give it that peppery taste and it's fantastic as a dip for bread.

V

vanessap

That sounds yummy. I love olive oil and remember a restaurant in our area used to do that. They'd give you bread and olive oil to dip it into. A really good olive oil makes it taste like olive bread.

T

Tarin

We love that! I usually add a few drops of balsamic vinegar and some Italian herbs, such as oregano and basil, maybe some rosemary. I love the idea of letting the olive oil sit for a few hours to let the flavors meld.

C

castiron

My kids love grilled baguettes slices dipped in olive oil. I mix olive oil with garlic powder and salt and they dip the grilled bread into it instead of using butter. Sometimes I will let the oil sit for a couple of hours with roasted red peppers to give it that peppery taste and it's fantastic as a dip for bread.
I did not know how to flavor the oil, I love baguettes with broccoli and cheddar soup. Reusing an emptied store bought dressing glass bottle to keep on counter to use through the week? or just add the red peppers to a small bottle of olive oil specifically to use for your crushed red pepper dip? imagine a teaspoon or less of seeds be enough? to even use in Mexican recipes as well as tacos.

C

castiron

We love that! I usually add a few drops of balsamic vinegar and some Italian herbs, such as oregano and basil, maybe some rosemary. I love the idea of letting the olive oil sit for a few hours to let the flavors meld.
I am allergic to rosemary (all evergreens) Have been wanting to do more home cooking so I know what is in food. Desire to grow my own herbs someday in a garden not just a few small pots at window. Had not thought of making my own dips and dressings, but this is a lovely idea. I like heat, just not taste of vinegar as with Tabasco sauce. So, think the crushed red pepper oil would also replace Tabasco for tacos, and chili. Be a flavor boost in some soups, and salads. To need two bottles instead of one of olive oil, one small and the usual large purchased.

C

castiron

I cannot use Italian seasonings, they do not list all ingredients and Rosemary makes my throat seize, like a charlie horse does calf muscle. Oregano causes a headache as does sage, a little seems sufficient but some cooks are heavy handed and then I am ill after dinner, not digestion, am dizzy and headache.
I have known people who will put aside a dish from recipe for a person who is allergic to pineapple (ER breathing blockage) but won't change a seasoning for someone else's food reaction consequences. If they can breathe and don't get hives, It is all in your head. Yes, headache, I can avoid knowing what is in my food. So, looking for ideas. I love balsamic vinegar. Have not purchased for a long time, I like the reminders, from good posts of what I used to use.

C

castiron

That sounds yummy. I love olive oil and remember a restaurant in our area used to do that. They'd give you bread and olive oil to dip it into. A really good olive oil makes it taste like olive bread.
I have at times used olive oil when making homemade bread, instead of vegetable oil. Does taste better! Another dip, I like I have no idea how to spell is for a French dip sandwich. Been a while, since I baked a roast just for using to make roast beef sandwiches.

L

L_B

I like this idea. I have never done it before but I already know that it would be a hit. Another thing that I will have to remember for when the camping season begins. I am already counting down the days. It is days like today when we have 3 feet of snow that I miss camping season so much.

D

Diane Lane

That sounds really yummy. I've dipped my bread in oil at Italian restaurants, and a few times at my parents' house, but have never done it myself here at home. I think I'll have to pick up some red peppers and try this. Is it better to use fresh raw peppers, should I saute them, or buy the jarred ones?

The Freshness