• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Grilled Grilled Cheese Sandwich

E

Ellyn

Don't you just love cooks with personality?

In case you can't view the video above, Alton Brown makes a grilled cheese sandwich, as in... on a grill, heated by charcoal. He grills the cheese, he grills the bread, then makes them into a sandwich which he then grills.

Personally, I just stick it into a toaster oven that has a grill technically, but fair point that that it's more for melting the cheese than grilling the cheese; and only grills the bread (and therefore only grills the entire sandwich) on a technicality.

Still, we all love outdoor cooking here--obviously, this just looks like much more fun!

Good point on how the choice of cheese determines how much crisp or chewiness you have, though. I'm a fan of Gouda, which is very gooey. A dash of cayenne pepper is enough spice for me, although if I find dry mustard at the grocery next time I'll try that too. (Alton Brown in the video above mixes in dry mustard, smoked paprika, and pepper in shredded gruyere and shredded extra sharp cheddar).

As for bread? I'm not usually picky, although in this case I agree that basic square white sliced bread tend to be waaay too delicate to even pair with quick-melt fake cheese--I'd sooner use hamburger buns.

How about you?

Cappy

I like Alton Brown, he is so anal, geeky I find him amusing as well as entertaining. As much as I hate to admit it I do occasionally take SOME of his advise. For instance spicing teh cheese and using a good hearty bread I am down with that. But spritzing that bread with olive oil:eek:
from a dino spray bottle:doh:..Never!!!! slather my bread with butter on the outside, on the inside is my secret thang. A very thin coating of mayo. And I dont care what he says a couple kraft singles are fancy enough for me. Next time though I may try a lil Cajun seasoning between the slices. Don't take other peoples advice...Make it your own.:yo:

E

Ellyn

But spritzing that bread with olive oil:eek:
from a dino spray bottle:doh:..Never!!!! slather my bread with butter on the outside, on the inside is my secret thang. A very thin coating of mayo.

I'm glad that you mentioned mayonnaise because here's another grilled cheese sandwich tip (well... fried cheese sandwich tip, now...definitely not a health blog, that one...) that I'm going to take at the earliest opportunity! ;)

Cappy

So while we talking Mayo allow me to drag us waaaay off topic and tell ya what my pop corn lovin sweety did a few nights ago. After popping a big bag of popcorn and just reaching for any ole bowl to put it in she poored the bag of pop corn into a bowl that recently held a cucumber salad made with maybe a lil too much mayo. In the bowl was a half inch layer or runny mayo, that accidentally covered the pop corn as she stirred in some spicy cajun seasoning. The mayo covered the pop corn and she squeeled from the rocker with delight as she discovered she had accidentally discovered a new favorite thing. Proving that invention is not genus but more often than not made from mistakes.:yo:

A

Amelie

Oh my God he's awesome! He's got so much personality and I love how he's so passionate about what he's doing! This looks amazing and I will definitely try it on my next camping trip.

H

Hilt

You had me at cheese. Seriously thought I love a good one and this is a great idea to get out of the kitchen and get outdoors, where if you don't know - most of the fun happens. I love the guy, I am now officially hooked.

E

evelynmcgregor

A couple of years ago when a bad tornado ripped up North Alabama, I was out of power for a week and had to resort to cooking on my grill. I got a hankering for grilled cheese sandwiches so I fired up the trusty charcoal grill and proceeded to make grilled cheese sandwiches. They were so yummy, I do it on occasion now. A nice appitizer while the main event is cooking! I use different breads and different cheeses and other fillings such as thin sliced tomato or onion in them, too.

C

Canbeef

Wow, that looks delicious! Why can't you just use slices of cheese directly on the bread instead of going to the trouble of grilling the cheese first? That's what I would do and you'd have less mess.

The Freshness