• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Grilled Grilled Eggplant with Soy Sauce (Vietnamese Vegetarian Version)

L

Lucas Pham

This recipe is good for vegetarian

Ingredients:
2 Asian eggplants (long and thin, but not baby eggplants)
4 scallions, minced
2 tablespoons peanut oil
4 teaspoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon fish sauce

Preparation: Prick the eggplants in several places with a fork, Then grill over a charcoal or gas grill for about 20 minutes or until the flesh is soft but before the skin burns. Remove them from the grill. When they are cool enough to handle, peel them and cut them in half lengthwise. Put the scallions into a bowl. Heat the oil in a pan until very hot, and then pour it over the scallions. Drain them immediately. Sprinkle the scallions over the eggplants, then gently pour the soy and fish sauces on top.

eggplant.jpg

S

saucygal

This sounds very good and healthy. Vegetarian food - especially vegetarian food from foreign countries - can be surprisingly good if you dress it well. Thanks for sharing.

D

dissn_it

My daughter is vegetarian and will love this recipe. She is always looking for new ways to cook eggplant and will be happy to have this new method to make them. They do look and sound delicious and also easy to make, too. Thanks for posting this one!

M

Mrs. Pirz

I love the addition of scallions, fish sauce and peanut oil. Although fish sauce is a very strong flavor it is absolutely essential to get that genuine flavor in some asian inspired foods. We always have a bottle in the house. This sounds awesome and I will definitely give it a try:)

P

Parker

I recently tried eggplant dip and it was delicious. So, I will give this recipe a try. I have always avoided eggplant. Purple is my favorite color, but I don't like it as a food color. LOL! I know that's not logical.

J

Jenine

I always knew the Vietnamese ate healthy. This is a good vegan recipe even for someone like me who doesn't eat a lot of vegetables.

S

shaun

I loved the egg plants in Vietnam and Thailand. They are cooked over charcoal in the street, the smoky aroma is enticing. I found that Asian eggplants have a sweeter flavor. Eggplants over here have a slightly bitter flavor, not as nice as Asian eggplants.

P

Parker

I loved the egg plants in Vietnam and Thailand. They are cooked over charcoal in the street, the smoky aroma is enticing. I found that Asian eggplants have a sweeter flavor. Eggplants over here have a slightly bitter flavor, not as nice as Asian eggplants.

This is good to know. My local store sells Asian eggplants and I wonder what they real difference was. We have a family BBQ next month. I'm going buy some eggplant for grilling.

S

shaun

This is good to know. My local store sells Asian eggplants and I wonder what they real difference was. We have a family BBQ next month. I'm going buy some eggplant for grilling.

Eggplant is ideal for grilling, in fact, I think it's the best cooking method for eggplants. The skin of the eggplant is crispy and smoky when grilled. I like grilling eggplant when I make moussaka, instead of frying the eggplant.

P

Parker

Eggplant is ideal for grilling, in fact, I think it's the best cooking method for eggplants. The skin of the eggplant is crispy and smoky when grilled. I like grilling eggplant when I make moussaka, instead of frying the eggplant.

Oh, I was going to peel the eggplant. Now, I'm really excited to grill some eggplant. I avoided eggplant for most of my life because I didn't like the color.

R

R. Paradon

I love the addition of scallions, fish sauce and peanut oil. Although fish sauce is a very strong flavor it is absolutely essential to get that genuine flavor in some asian inspired foods. We always have a bottle in the house. This sounds awesome and I will definitely give it a try:)
Fish sauce is very smelly, very salty and great! How's that for a choice of adjectives? Living in Thailand it is one thing that is always on the table but it is smart to use it in very small portions until you come the amount that is personally pleasing to your tongue. When I first started using in back in the States I really went overboard and had a lot of food that even my dog would not touch!

M

Mrs. Pirz

Fish sauce is very smelly, very salty and great! How's that for a choice of adjectives? Living in Thailand it is one thing that is always on the table but it is smart to use it in very small portions until you come the amount that is personally pleasing to your tongue. When I first started using in back in the States I really went overboard and had a lot of food that even my dog would not touch!

Haha:D I can only imagine the dogs expression!!! Luckily I taste everything straight up before adding it to food (unless its raw) so to get a good taste idea and figure how much I will be adding. I can see how too much of this can easily mess up a meal.:p

I

IsabelleChan

Wow! The picture looks really tempting and I love vegetable recipes because sometimes, we just consume too much meat. It's time to eat a bit healthier with grilled eggplants. And the instructions seem pretty easy to follow, so I guess I'll give it a try some time to neutralize my not-so-healthy diet.

F

FireBrick

I bet my family will love this! We regularly grill eggplants but haven't done it in such a way. I think it is time to experiment and spice up our usual grilled eggplant.

F

FlanneryCam

I don't eat eggplant very often. Because I don't know how to cook it well. All I know how to make is eggplant parm. But I could totally enjoy me some grilled eggplant. Why is it I've never thought of this? What other kinds of grilled eggplant recipes can I try?

Anyone have a substitute for the fish sauce? I'm really not into fish sauce.

P

Pat

Where would you purchase fish sauce? I also would like to know if there is a substitute for fish sauce. I am looking for ways to cook eggplant, this does sound interesting but I think I would prefer not to have to use fish sauce. I don't have a dog:)