• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Grilling Rabbit

O

Onatah

I raise meat rabbits. We are set to do another round of processing for the freezer camp enrollees. I have a lot of favorite recipes but have yet to find a way of grilling rabbit that I really enjoy, other than rabbit burgers.
I brine the rabbit overnight and I let it sit until rigamortis passes as those two things help with both flavor and tenderness. I also process them at younger ages. Anything over 16 weeks of age goes to hamburger. Yet, grilling still always seems to make the meat seem tougher to me. Are there any secrets to this?

L

L_B

When I was younger my Dad use to raise meat rabbits. I have had them many different ways but I have never had them grilled.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Cannot get rabbit around here, would love to raise them but haven't gotten the chance.

What if you did more BBQ style, low and slow. Put on a nice rub or inject and cook it around 225-250.

You can try this recipe too. BBQ Pit Boys have some good recipes.

O

Onatah

Thank you. That looks delicious. Can't understand some of it as it's in German(?) but I can sort of guess on most of it.
I found this one as well.

O

Onatah

We processed 7 rabbits. My husband took 4 of them to work with him the next day as he had some sold. People saw that and two more were spoken for. Brought them the next day. People saw this. Another spoken for. Guess it's time to process more. I need to bring out the spare refrigerator I used to have in my garage so I have more room to brine. Or maybe just use my giant cooler and lots of ice. Hope I get to try grilling some this time.

L

L_B

Hi Onateh I was just wondering if you got around to trying that grilled rabbit yet? I have been anxious to see how it turned out. The above videos look really good. :)

C

castiron

I raise meat rabbits. We are set to do another round of processing for the freezer camp enrollees. I have a lot of favorite recipes but have yet to find a way of grilling rabbit that I really enjoy, other than rabbit burgers.
I brine the rabbit overnight and I let it sit until rigamortis passes as those two things help with both flavor and tenderness. I also process them at younger ages. Anything over 16 weeks of age goes to hamburger. Yet, grilling still always seems to make the meat seem tougher to me. Are there any secrets to this?
Rabbits usually get most of their moisture from dew or plants. So, the meat tends to be dry. Roasting on an open fire was common for pioneers and settlers when traveling, low on water for boiling. Rabbit stews and also rabbit gravy over biscuits done so cooked this tender, for it falls off the bone, is the best use of rabbit meat to gain moisture. Only soaking in salt water (one teaspoon stirred through sufficient Salt can also dry meat) to remove any blood from the body, in cold water in refrigerator container. Since used salt in the cold water soak, taste before adding more while cooking. Really may only need a pinch for reason of the flour. Less then 1/8 of a teaspoon. So, tasting spoons handy. and consider grilling a steak instead. Rabbit gravy over "cathead" size buttermilk biscuits one meal my ex did not say that does not taste like mom makes it, eating til whole skillet of biscuits gone in silence. No left overs of gravy either. I used a half gallon of milk to make the white gravy with black pepper sprinkled in it. Meat pulled into pieces, so some long and some chunks. Wild mushrooms would compliment this dish.

O

oportosanto

I love rabbits, but it's a really tender meat, so to grill it we really need to check our grill time.

The Freshness