• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Hardened bread

J

Juliette

We eat at this one restaurant all the time where we often have leftover bread to bring home with our "doggie bags." The bread is delicious, but it is so hard the next day we can't bite through it. What do you do with old, rock-hard bread?

B

Burg14

Throw it away. I don't ever take home leftover bread because it gets too hard. When we eat bread (specialty) at home, I always put the leftovers in a Ziploc bag. This usually keeps them a bit fresher and not so hard.

C

Charcoal

One way to use up leftover bread is to make French toast out of it. I also saw a couple of dessert recipes online that make use of leftover bread.

H

Hilt

French toast is the best idea I would have too. The only place we bring home bread from is one place downtown that has amazing rolls and they never go hard the next day, most times we eat them with breakfast the following day just to make sure we are not "chancing it".

J

Juliette

I had to buy a 20-piece box of chicken yesterday from the take-out restaurant. As usual, they included a huge bag of hushpuppies, which went uneaten. We took the kids across to the lake and fed the ducks with the leftovers. There's probably a law against that, but at least the children enjoyed the hushpuppies. We got some good photos, too.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
What if you made croutons out of it the night you took it home? You can stick them in a smoker or an oven at about 200 degrees for about an hour or so. Toss on some spices or just garlic and you have something better then what would come from a grocery store.

Cappy

Wrap em in a moist paper towel and put them in the micro. 15 secs or so they are back good as new. Eat em warm or they will re petrofy.:p

J

Juliette

We do use bread crumbs on casseroles, so I'll try doing that next time. I didn't know about wrapping them in a wet paper towel before microwaving. That sounds like a good plan. Thanks! I hate to throw away good food.

The Freshness