• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Herb and oil baste

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
  • 1/2 cup cooking oil or olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 clove garlic crushed
  • 1 teaspoon freshly chopped rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon freshly chopped dried marjoram
  • 1 teaspoon freshly chopped dried parsley
Mix together and use a crushed sprig of rosemary to baste the meat frequently.

B

Briquet

Thanks for the baste recipe; that sounds wonderful! I think it'd be good on just about any kind of meat but I immediately thought of using it on chicken.

T

TopChef

Nice. A great, basic marinade. Oil to moisturize the meat, lemon juice to tenderize. I didn't used to be a fan of marjoram, but lately I've come to appreciate the flavor. I am down with this marinade.

C

Charcoal

This baste recipe sounds good. I am pretty sure that the herbs add so much depth of flavor to the meat. I have never used the three herbs combined to baste my meat. I should give this recipe a go then.

B

Briquet

It's hard to beat garlic, lemon, and rosemary. I haven't tried adding parsley or marjoram but I will check it out, and I never considered using a sprig of rosemary to actually do the basting.

J

Juliette

Garlic is a no-no in our home, although I actually like it. No one else does, so we leave it out. Otherwise, the other herbs sound great. We use a lot of olive oil around here.

S

sheepdad

Marjorham is pretty good if you want a sweeter more aromatic taste than oregano. Nice on beef but i learned the hard way to use less than i would oregano if using it as a substitute. Could be just me but a little goes a long way. I like oregano much better unless im looking for a specific aromatic taste. The baste does sound good and will be something to try in the future for sure.