• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

How does one start?

M

MaxPower

Just curious, how does one go about starting to compete in BBQ competitions. I'm still pretty new to cooking BBQ, but I love competition and would love to compete one day. How does one go about doing so? I don't even know where to look to see if there is a competition nearby that I could go watch.

S

shaun

It's pretty simple, find a competition you can attend and enter it. You may want to attend a few competitions to see how it works and get a feel for it, but ultimately you need to enter a competition and find out for yourself. You will learn as you gain experience.

T

TheMaster

Ya like Shaun said, find a competition near where you live and enter it.. I would recommend before you go and compete in it to do some research on the event, and look at details such as who won, what the judges said, do they own a buisness(if so go try it), what was the winning dish.

S

shortbusbbq

Judge first! I competed for 8 months before I went to just judge. Won 3rd place brisket the next weekend.

The Freshness