• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

How often do you mow?

dmontgomery

Administrator
Staff member
I try not to let it get too long before mowing, but if I am lucky I can go two weeks between mowing sessions.

How often do other people mow?

bitpushr

Slow and Low
Staff member
During the summer, if it's been raining, I can't even get by a week without mowing. But, once it's dry, or in the summer and fall, I can get by a week and a half or even 2 weeks if it's dry.

My wife calls the lawn "my girlfriend" because I spend so much time with her.

bminiman

During the summer, if it's been raining, I can't even get by a week without mowing. But, once it's dry, or in the summer and fall, I can get by a week and a half or even 2 weeks if it's dry.

My wife calls the lawn "my girlfriend" because I spend so much time with her.
Let the grass clippings fall into the lawn, don't collect them separately. The grass clippings have these benefits when you let them fall:

1. Moisture retention---the clippings shade the soil and act as mulch
2. Fertilization--as the clipping decompose, they add nutrients to the soil and it feeds the lawn.

IRQVET

My lawn has a short growing season, maybe 4 months. I leave mine long (3.75 to 4.25 inces) so my roots don't get too hot and stress out. I fertilize once per year in the spring, and in fall I over seed with a winter growing seed just so it fills in any bare spots so weeds don't pop up.

Its been a winning formula I learned from someone much smarter than me.

bminiman

My lawn has a short growing season, maybe 4 months. I leave mine long (3.75 to 4.25 inces) so my roots don't get too hot and stress out. I fertilize once per year in the spring, and in fall I over seed with a winter growing seed just so it fills in any bare spots so weeds don't pop up.

Its been a winning formula I learned from someone much smarter than me.
What do you use to fertilize?

IRQVET

What do you use to fertilize?

Scotts Bonus S for southern lawns. Costco usually has a 50 lb bag on sale for $35 in March of each year, so thats when I stock up.

Best price I've ever seen, since most places sell the 35 lb bag for that price and thats only when its on sale. Costco raises the price to $50 per bag by April, so you have to get there in March. I have to buy like 10 bags since my property is so large, and even that doesn't get the whole property, so the cost savings helps.

Last edited:

The Freshness