• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Ice cream on a bun

I

iamwhoiam

I do not know if this would be anyone's fancy but I would like to share anyways.

Ice cream on a bun

What you need

hamburger buns
images

Your favorite Ice cream
images

What to do:
Put the buns on the grill just enough to give it the grill marks or on a toaster.
Slice in between and fill in with your favorite Ice cream

images

Hope you guys enjoy my share.
This small recipe is best on those hot summer days. A perfect dessert for those late afternoon barbeque parties.

M

MsrCfsg

How does it taste?
Do you think it might taste better on a toasted and buttered bun?

B

Burg14

Gross! and cold on your teeth! I never bite my ice cream and you would have to bit this. I only lick ice cream! I have to say this is not something I would even try.

I

iamwhoiam

Gross! and cold on your teeth! I never bite my ice cream and you would have to bit this. I only lick ice cream! I have to say this is not something I would even try.

This was my same initial thoughts before I tried it.
But after trying it,well it gave me a different perspective on eating ice cream. You can pretty much compare it to fried ice crem. The thread of fried ice cream is what actually triggered to remind me of this recipe.
As far as taosted buns,yes it actually taste great. On the other hand on a buttered bun I am not exactly sure have not tried it yet.

B

BBQueen

I do not think this would be something I would try but to each their own. I am not much on cones, I prefer to eat ice cream in a dish so I am pretty sure I wouldn't like this. Besides the bun adds a bunch of empty calories.

J

Jessi

I could see it going well on toasted bread, especially if still warm. Just on plain ol' bread, though? Doesn't it all sort of mush together?

R

rollybooz

Another street food found in Asia. Vendors in Asia sell ice-cream on motorcycles and bicycles while I believe in the US and Europe, we have our ice-cream trucks. Vendors is Asia usually offer a variety of ways to have your ice cream served where you can choose to have it in a cup, cone or simply held with a piece of plain bread since the ice cream is not scooped but rather cut off into smaller blocks from a whole huge block of ice cream. It doesn't actually taste so bad or disgusting but I guess that is a personal preference.

I

iamwhoiam

Another street food found in Asia. Vendors in Asia sell ice-cream on motorcycles and bicycles while I believe in the US and Europe, we have our ice-cream trucks. Vendors is Asia usually offer a variety of ways to have your ice cream served where you can choose to have it in a cup, cone or simply held with a piece of plain bread since the ice cream is not scooped but rather cut off into smaller blocks from a whole huge block of ice cream. It doesn't actually taste so bad or disgusting but I guess that is a personal preference.

Nice background you gave their mate! I remember this being served in Thailand a few years back while I was there for business. Yes I would agree that it pretty much boils down to personal preferences.
I like this served on a toasted bun or even a regular bun. I guess you just have to eat it fast enough so that everything does not get all mushy.

D

dissn_it

This is a new concept to me but I would be willing to try it sometime. I think toasting the bread would be a good idea. Perhaps using an artisan bread and a thin slice of ice cream might keep it from getting too mushy. This does sound like it would get messy to eat but sometimes the messier, the better!

M

Mrs. Pirz

I have heard of this but never tried it. "Don't mock it till you try it!" is my motto. This could very well end up being a new favorite thing for me. Thanks for the post!

J

Jenine

Ice cream on a bun? I may have had something similar to this when I was a kid. I remember some years ago going over to a Filipino girl's house and having some cold ice cream on a dinner roll of some type. I think I liked it. I know I was eating this dish with her little sister who looked like she was a little bit younger than me, but her parents (probably her mother) weren't talking to her in English. It could've been Tagalog. Anyway, this dish reminds me of something I had before. I like the recipe, but I would change the sesame seed bun to regular sandwich buns.

H

Hilt

I can only sometimes bite into ice cream and it really depends on the type. I am not sure I could try this though, bread and sweets just seems like a little too much for me.

C

crj

Couldn't imagine those two together. But hey, can't tell without trying. Looking forward to this some day when I get my hands on some delicious ice cream.

N

nene5

This could be good. I think it would need to be warm and toasted bread. Something from the bakery would probably be even better.

D

difrancprod

I've tried it especially when I was in Manila. They sell a lot of these over there. I personally didn't like it though.

G

GwapaLala

I've tried this one in Asia too. My mother's Filipino so she made me try this once too. I liked it but I think ice cream is much better on top of a hot waffle.

A

Arnold

The closest we've come to anything like this is serving ice cream on pound cake. I can't think of a single bread I'd like to eat it on. Enjoy your ice cream sandwich.

G

grillqueen79

My initial reaction was yuck! After thinking about it though it really is like an ice cream sandwich (the kind you buy), and it might actually be pretty good. I would be willing to give it a chance.

B

BobbyBoberry

I don't think it would be a problem because I love ice cream. I haven't tried it but I certainly intend to as soon as possible. I love waffle cones too and eat ice cream in waffle cones several times a week. I gotta try this one though.

H

Hilt

I know I would try a bite but I am not sure if it is something I would eat all of the time. It kind of reminds me of those frozen non-drip ice cream puddles that a shop downtown sells. The texture is just weird and that ruins it for me.

The Freshness