• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Italian Chicken Stew

T

Tessa

I'm not sure what to call this, but it turned out very well! I was inspired by an Italian wedding soup recipe I found. My husband isn't fond of red meat, though, so he requested chicken.

You'll need:
--1 large stock pot
--1 frying pan

Ingredients:
--2 32 oz box chicken broth
--2 cups orzo
--1 package chicken (I used tenders)
--2 cups carrot sticks
--3 cups spinach
--3 cloves garlic, diced
--1 small shallot, diced
--2 green onions, sliced
--1 tbsp basil
--1 tsp sage
--salt to taste
--parsley or cilantro for garnish
--butter (enough to coat skillet)

Boil orzo and rinse. Add to stock pot with carrots, sage, and chicken broth. Set on medium heat, stirring occasionally. In a skillet, saute chicken with basil, garlic, shallot, spinach, and onions. Once cooked through, pull apart and add to stock pot. Leave on medium heat for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve with garnish.

B

Ben

You know, that actually sounds pretty good! I love chicken soup and any variation of that, I'm on board! I really like chicken tortilla soup for that very reason. Did this one come out good for you guys?

T

Tessa

It definitely did. One note of caution--the orzo will poof up, so it doesn't make for very good leftovers. Thankfully, we ate most of the pot, so it didn't go to waste. I'll definitely make this one again, especially with the weather being as cold as it is where I live.

B

ber4

It does sounds really good. Is orzo a pasta? I have never used it before. I love any kind of homemade chicken soup. I would love to give this one a try too. Maybe I'll make it this coming weekend. Can you tell me what orzo is though?

T

Tessa

Orzo is a type of pasta, but it's an unusual kind. Check the fancy Italian pastas (in my grocery store, it's usually on the lower shelves). It's quite tasty and complimentary in many dishes. I love to add it to rice for a different texture.

T

TopChef

This recpie sounds fantastic! I wish I had had it on Saturday. I was looking for a new chicken stew recipe. I can't wait to try it. I actually even have a box of orzo in the pantry!

G

grillqueen79

This sounds really good! I don't have any Orzo so I might just have to substitute some rice and see how it turns out with that.

O

ohiotom76

Orzo is wonderful, but yeah, you should use it sparingly because when you refrigerate the leftovers it tends to expand a *lot*, and you will wind up with a pot full of Orzo rather than a pot of soup. I put about 1/3 of a cup or so to a whole pot of chicken soup (about 8 cups of liquid).

I would caution against using Cilantro as a substitute for Parsley in this, as that has a much different flavor, especially if you are going for more of an Italian inspired dish like Wedding Soup.

Escarole is a really nice substitute for the Spinach, and I actually prefer it, since it adds a nice bitter flavor and "meatiness" to the broth.

The Freshness