• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Jalapeno Corn Bread

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
cornbread-2.jpg

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup seeded & finely chopped jalepenos
1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups medium grind cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
4 large eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 12by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan.

Heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Add the jalapenos, red pepper and corn and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally for about 4 or 5 minutes. Scrap mixture onto a plate and let cool completely

In large bowl, dissolve the sugar in 1/2 cup of water. Stir in the vegetable oil.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Using a mixer, beat the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture. Add the eggs and cooked vegetables and beat until just blended.

Scrap the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes to an hour.

B

Burg14

Everything sounds delicious except the jalapeno's! I am not a fan of spicy/hot food. Is this really spicy or does the pepper just add flavor? We actually grow jalapeno peppers but I don't eat them.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Everything sounds delicious except the jalapeno's! I am not a fan of spicy/hot food. Is this really spicy or does the pepper just add flavor? We actually grow jalapeno peppers but I don't eat them.

It is not spicy for me, but you can taste a bit of the jalapenos. Really gives it a unique flavor.

P

Parker

I love spicy food, but sometimes they bit me back. This is worth trying. I think I would like cornbread with a little kick.

N

nene5

This sounds really good. There is a great local bbq place that has some great jalapeno bread. I wouldn't think I would like it but I do. I'll have to try this.

M

Mrs. Pirz

I make something like this at home and yes it is absolutely delicious. The spiciness goes great with the sweet of the cornmeal. In my home we usually pair this with our 4 cheese pancetta mac and cheese.

P

prey

How can your taste buds handle such a spicy taste? If I put jalapeno in my mouth, I'd just throw up because the taste is unbearable. I will try this recipe without the jalapeno, hopefully it will have the same potential... Thanks for the share!

E

evelynmcgregor

I make Mexican cornbread and the recipe is similiar to yours. The only difference is I use canned green chilis in mine. I don't care for a lot of spice and the canned chopped chilis are just right. And we eat with just about everything, but our favorite is with fire pit made chili.

The Freshness