• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Lots of money involved?

T

TheMaster

So I just recently I found a BBQ competition near my area, but it had no information about payout. I know it sounds greedy but if I am going to spend a bunch of money on meat I want at least my money back on the meat. Maybe those that have competed can tell me a little more about payout.

L

leyash

I think you only get money if you win, and there could be thousands of people in the competition, so it is nowhere near guaranteed that you are going to get your money back.

T

TopChef

I definitely think that you have to be in it for the fun, until you get really good at competition. From what I've seen on tv, it takes a lot of investment in equipment to get to the big leagues of consistent winning at competitions.

S

shaun

It depends on the competition. There might be financial prizes if you place in the top 3, usually it is only the winner. The chances of you winning are minimal, especially if you have no experience in competition. You will probably not recoup the money you spend on meat etc.

J

Jessi

^ I agree with all of the above. Do not enter if you're doing it just for the chance at money. People do that because they enjoy it and are there for the fun. The occasional possible payout is only a bonus and not necessarily the goal.

J

JohnB

Just buying meat for a barbecue competition can get incredibly expensive. Add the cost of your cookers, transportation and other supplies, and this can be an expensive hobby.

J

jovan107

It depends on the competition your entering, I have competed in competitions where if you bought along your receipt you were refunded 5-25% the cost of the meat you purchase, but most have been just for fun and you only receive money if you win.

P

Pocs

I've entered several cooking and recipe competitions. Some require a fee and suppling all the ingredients. While others have no fee and supply everything needed. BBQ competitions tend to be a bit costly. I have never competed, because of the expense. You have fees, meat, grills or pits and other supplies. It's more than my wallet can handle, although I would love to give it a whirl.

D

dashboardc33

I could understand that. If I was going to pay money to be in a competition, I would want to expect money out of it as well. I would do some research and find out which competitions give out the best rewards to see which you could benefit from the best.

B

bbqbrad

You won't get much back. On average, I spend about 800-1000 a competition (Meats, hotel room, gas, supplies). Average payout is 250-300 a category. I won 1000 at the last comp I did, but that was a high paying comp.

A

Arnold

You really have to love the entire scene and be good at it to ever make any money in barbecue competitions. Meat gets more expensive by the month, as does fuel, gasoline to get there, and the equipment

S

shortbusbbq

I decided to take the plunge and compete last February. My friends and family have always been impressed with my food. I spent the money and tried it out. I (my brother in law while I was sleeping) burned the brisket my first competition and it still came in 5th. That turned out to be a problem because I thought it couldn't lose if it wasn't burnt. DEAD WRONG! I finally got into the top 3 last weekend after 8-10 cook offs and thousands of dollars. I wouldn't trade it for the world. The atmosphere and people make it too much fun to pass up. Good luck.

P

PratherQ

That's awesome, shortbus! I can imagine the atmosphere is great...and smells good once the pits get fired up!

I love to smoke meat (pork, in particular) and my daughter came up with the great idea of coming up with our own sauce! For now, it's a side hobby and a bonding experience with my 11 year old daughter. Perhaps after I retire, I'll hit the circuit! Still, I'd like to get into local competitions.

Glad I found this site!

B

Ben

I agree, I had a friend who did it for years. He never made that much money but he did gain recognition for it. He got to sell his own sauce in some places and online. It helps to get a deal when you've won a number of competitions.

O

oportosanto

There are all sorts of competitions, some are just for us enjoy ourselves, others, apart from that, have nice sums of money involved.

The Freshness