• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

making charcoal

B

Buster

Anyone here ever made charcoal before from regular wood? Do you find it cheaper?

N

NuRoy

Cheaper? Making your own charcoal is basically free if you have access to the wood. It's also nice to be able to choose the kind of wood that you're using for the coals. I have an uncle who has big bonfires in the summer and multitasks by making charcoal at the same time.

H

Hilt

We have seen it a few times before too. A friend swears he knows the art of making it but we tried some food after he used "his" homemade stuff and I am pretty sure he did something wrong, it tastes bad and it was only burgers with dogs!

N

NuRoy

Hilt, it could be the kind of wood he used. If he used the wrong kind of wood the charcoal can be absolutely disgusting. Sometimes people get wood for free and don't take the time to make sure it's a good wood for charcoal.

B

ber4

Amazing! We have a ton of wood. I did not know that you could make your own charcoal. We also have metal buckets. I'm going to try this! Or should I say, my husband is going to try this.

P

prey

I've tried to do it before, but I just can't manage to get the same quality as found in stores, and I just waste precious wood whilst trying to do so. I might stick with the people that can actually make it, and if I ever manage to lose myself in the forest, then I will wait to be rescued, as I simply can't manage to do it and won't bother to get further results out of it.

The Freshness