• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Mama's Old Fashion Chicken Soup...

B

bigal3

During cold and flu season my mom used to make what she called "old fashion chicken soup". Here's the recipe:
One medium diced stewing chicken with giblets
two or three carrots (up to your taste)
two stalks celery
Fresh medium ground garlic(flavor to your taste)
Chopped green onion (number depends on your taste)
Chopped regular onion (optional and amount also depends on your taste
Green bell pepper (also optional)
Fresh finely chopped basil
Fresh finely chopped bay leaf to taste if you like it.

Spices and other seasonings:

Spices include but are not limited to fresh ground sage. You can be creative here depending on your taste.
Fresh ground black pepper
salt to your taste.

After all of the ingriedients are prepped put them in your favorite stew or soup pot with enough water to cover them. Keep an eye on the pot until it comes to a boil and then reduce the heat so it slow cooks in all the ingriedients flavors. I sometime for a change of pace add dumplings to the mix and that is really a treat.

R

R. Paradon

Looks pretty good. I would for sure take out the green peppers - totally hate them! How did your mother make the dumplings?

B

bigal3

Looks pretty good. I would for sure take out the green peppers - totally hate them! How did your mother make the dumplings?
She used the recipe on the back of the "Bisquick" box. It consists of Bisquick. How much you use depends on how many dumplings you are going to make. Put the dry ingriedients in a bowl and add one half to one stick of butter depending on how many dumplings you want to make. Next add just enough warm water to make the flour mixture thick and hand roll each dumpling into the size and shape you desire and place them in the pot when the chicken has begun to boil. The dumplings when cooked will be fluffy on the inside and firm on the outside. The flavors from the chicken seasoning will be absorbed into them and it will give them an extra special taste. When I was a youngster I loved my mom's dumplings and could have eaten them everyday.

S

shaun

Chicken soup does have medicinal properties, I'm not sure why. I use a whole chicken when I make chicken soup. It's a good way to cook a whole chicken because you have plenty of soup with a deep flavor and none of the chicken goes to waste.

J

Jenine

This is definitely different from the homemade soup I grew accustomed to eating. This is a really great recipe though and with a little spice, it can probably definitely knock out any cold or flu.

M

Mrs. Pirz

My momma makes very yummy chicken soup. She boils a whole chicken and once its cooked thoroughly she takes it out and flash fries it with cuban adobo on it for flavor. She uses the water she boiled the chicked in as the stock and adds potatoes, carrots, onions, green peppers, angel hair pasta, a couple of chicken boullions, salt and pepper, lemon juice, a bay leaf and a little oregano.

The chicken she fries she shreds up and serves over a little plate of plain white rice and along side it she puts the bowl of soup. It is absolutely delicious and never fails at putting me on my feet during a flu.

L

Laurasav

Sounds really good, especially with the addition of Bisquick dumplings. Your mom's recipe also sounds fabulous and really full of flavor, Mrs.Pirz. I guess I should attempt to make chicken soup again. I love all kinds of soups and I make a great chunky potato soup, among others, but I've refused to make chicken soup. I attempted it once when we were first married. I used my new Betty Crocker cookbook (wedding shower gift) recipe and it turned out AWFUL! I was humiliated since I'd invited guests over to eat! Maybe it's time to try making it again w/a new recipe! Thanks!

O

ohiotom76

Actually I think the green pepper sounds like a really interesting addition. I love the fresh smell and mild sweetness they give to dishes. If you have a pressure cooker, you can knock this out in about an hour, instead of having to let it cook for several hours. Also, the pressure cooker draws out more of the gelatin in the chicken, so you wind up with a stock with more body to it.

R

R. Paradon

Funny...green peppers are one of the few things that I really do not care for. About the only time I do enjoy them is when they are fried (well past the death mark) in a dish. I put them in my other "can't stand food" along with watermelon!

J

jovan107

This is a great recipe, thank you for sharing it. Chicken soup tastes great and I love dumplings.

L

Laurasav

Funny...green peppers are one of the few things that I really do not care for. About the only time I do enjoy them is when they are fried (well past the death mark) in a dish. I put them in my other "can't stand food" along with watermelon!
I hate green peppers too!! Whatever they're put in, it always ruins (over-powers) the dish! YUCK! I can tolerate any other kind of pepper, red, orange, yellow - but NOT green! HATE green! :mad:
Watermelon?!?!?! Say it ain't so! What have you got against yummy, sweet watermelon????? :eek:
Well, my hubby doesn't like watermelon either. You guys are WEIRD! He says it's a problem with the consistency or some such nonsense. I tell him he's un-American! :p

R

R. Paradon

LOL! To me watermelon has absolutely no taste! But....if you hollow it out and add ice with rum or other spirits it is palatable! I had it this when I was in South Korea.

The Freshness