• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Mexican Stew

G

grillqueen79

This was a recipe that we tried this week and it was quite tasty! I thought with all of the icy weather we have been having across the country that some of you might like a nice warm stew recipe.

Ingredients

• 1 cup diced onion
    • 1 -2 garlic clove, finely chopped
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 3 cups cooked chicken or 3 cups cooked turkey, diced or shredded
    • 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packages taco seasoning mix
    • 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans ready-cut diced tomatoes, undrained
    • 1 (15 ounce) cans black beans or 1 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
    • 1 (8 3/4 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained
    • 1 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies, drained
    • 1 cup chicken broth
    • 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch

Directions

1. Cook onion and garlic in oil in large saucepan until tender.
  2. Add cooked chicken, taco seasoning, tomatoes, beans, corn and chilies.
  3. Blend broth and cornstarch; add to saucepan.
  4. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes; stirring occasionally.
  5. Serve with cornbread for a hearty meal.

G

grillin_n_chillin

This sounds pretty good. :) We ate at a Mexican restaurant this evening that serves a Mexican stew and one of my brothers-in-law raves about it. This sounds like something that could also be cooked in the Crock Pot and still come out good.

B

BarbiQ

That sounds like something I would like. If you crumble some tortilla chips and cheese over the top it would add a little extra fun. I like the idea of serving it with cornbread too. Thanks for posting this!

G

grillqueen79

Grillin I am planning to make another batch in the crockpot this weekend to freeze for later. This time I am going to skip the taco seasoning and make my own. BarbiQ crumbled tortilla chips and cheese would be an awesome topping for this one. :)

B

Briquet

Taco seasoning is pretty easy to make, I think, and you can control the amount of sodium better. I love spicy soups, so I will probably try making this recipe on the next chilly night we have.

B

BarbiQ

Briquet - That's usually the problem I have with taco seasoning. It's just so darn salty!

grillqueen - I know the recipe calls for chicken or turkey, but have you tried it with beef? I'm thinking that might also be pretty good.

R

Red Boots

Chili and cornbread are a match made in heaven. This looks very good. I always saute my meat with poblano peppers, and I think it would complement this very well.

BarbiQ--I never use taco seasoning. Cumin works just fine for that "chili" flavor. Onion, garlic, and a serrano pepper are good alternatives for adding heat and bold flavor.

G

grillqueen79

I have used ground beef and it works really well. When I make "taco" seasoning I use garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and cumin. That way there is very little sodium and you still get that "taco" taste.

The Freshness