• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

My Scrambled Eggs

B

Ben

I'm going to give you my version of scrambled eggs.
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
  • 2 teaspoons butter
  • 1-2 tablespoons diced red onion
  • 1-2 tablespoons diced tomato
  • Hot Sauce (can be any kind)
  1. Whisk eggs and water in a bowl until smooth.
  2. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Drop in the diced onion, let it sweat a little. Pour in egg mixture; cook, stirring constantly, until eggs reach the desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix in cheese during final minutes of cooking. Top with fresh diced tomato and some of your favorite hot sauce!
I don't know why but I love mixing water in them, makes them really soft and moist.

F

FireBrick

This sounds good! Sometimes, I actually add chopped onion and diced tomato to my scrambled eggs. I don't mix in water though. The next time I make scrambled eggs, I'll follow your recipe but minus the hot sauce. I'm not a fan of spicy stuff.

B

Ben

Yeah the water is really just a preference because I've had chefs tell me that's a no no. Well, I personally like the way it tastes, so for me it's a yes yes! You can split it up with 1/2 water 1/2 milk but there are no rules except what tastes good to you.

G

grillqueen79

This sounds very similar to how I make eggs, but my husband would kill me if I put water in them. Occasionally, I put a little bit of milk if the eggs aren't fresh.

B

ber4

That does sound good right up to the point where you mention hot sauce. I would skip that part. I do love to add onions and peppers to my eggs. I even like cheese! There are times when I just want plain scrambled eggs too!

H

Hilt

I adore sea salt! We have swapped it out for most all recipes and eggs were one of the first. I think I could love off of eggs and cheese. I have tried the hot sauce before too but we use mild, just a dab makes all the difference!

B

Ben

I couldn't agree more about sea salt. I can't stand regular iodized salt now. I know it's supposed to be good for our thyroid but it tastes crappy and has no flavor what so ever. You don't need a lot of hot sauce, just a little to spice things up!

H

Hilt

The only flavor regular salt gives me now is the type of distaste. I guess it is something I have grown out of own but even our kids say they like sea salt better than the regular stuff.

S

sheepdad

The only flavor regular salt gives me now is the type of distaste. I guess it is something I have grown out of own but even our kids say they like sea salt better than the regular stuff.

If you all like sea salt, you'll love the Himalayan Pink salt. Great taste and real healthy. More usable minerals for your body and a much higher purity level than sea salt.

B

Ben

I saw the Himalayan Sea Salt on some other web site and I was like "Whoa! That's expensive salt!" But when I read about what it does and how it's better for us, I think I might give it a try.

C

Charcoal

Chopped onions and diced tomatoes are so welcome in my scrambled eggs. I don't add water, but I do pour in some milk. The hot sauce is definitely out. Sometimes, I add a dash of my favorite herb for extra flavor.

B

Ben

Add some cilantro, I love me some cilantro! With the onions, tomatoes, it's such a great combination. I used to hate hot sauce too. Then I had Indian food, and spicy Thai food, and I was hooked! Of course I think my taste buds changed when I got older too.

T

TopChef

That sounds good, though I would want such loaded scrambled eggs every time. I would also use the hot sauce sparingly.

I'm with you on adding water. I have it on good authority that adding water actually makes the eggs fluffier than adding milk. I always add water when I make omelets. I can't remember if I read or heard that from Martha Stewart or Julia Child.

H

Hilt

I might need to check that out. Also I was reading that more people now are using extra water in their eggs to keep them fluffy rather than milk. Anyone know why the need for a change? If you are using 2% milk it should be okay, right?

B

BarbiQ

Alright all of you "no hot sauce for me" people, I will take yours. Even better, a few spoons of hot salsa over the top of the eggs before eating.

Sometimes I don't add any type of liquid to the eggs. Sometimes I add a little milk. Other times I add water. Once I even added some cream because it's what I grabbed from the fridge. There isn't much discernible difference for it to matter to me. I guess all that hot sauce drowns out the subtleties. :p

A

Athenagdlyt

That's a very rich recipe for scrambled eggs, Ben. I would sometimes mix diced onions with the scrambled eggs. Sometimes it's just the diced tomatoes. Now your idea made me think , "yeah, why not both?" I limit my spices to salt and pepper during cooking because I have kids who don't like spicy food. Pepper flakes would then be added as needed for the added zing. :)

E

evelynmcgregor

Ben, I make scrambled eggs very similiar to yours, but i add diced bell peppers to mine. Then I serve them in a flour tortilla,,,, breakfast burritos. I also like to make frittatas which are basically scrambled eggs over a layer of potatoes in the bottom of the pan, the egg mixture with ham or sausage in it, onions, and bell pepper poured over the potatoes and then popped into the oven to cook the eggs. My grandson loves this.

J

Jessi

I'm with you on adding water. I have it on good authority that adding water actually makes the eggs fluffier than adding milk. I always add water when I make omelets. I can't remember if I read or heard that from Martha Stewart or Julia Child.

Hmm, interesting. I've never even heard of using water instead of milk. And I've been told not to even add the milk because it just thins them out instead of making them fluffier. I'm wondering what the difference is with water.

O

ohiotom76

I'm pretty sure that adding water will help make them fluffier and adding milk more or less makes them taste a bit richer, but it also probably adds to the fluffiness a bit too. The main reason I am saying this is because I make omelettes quite often in the morning, and I usually toss my fillings into the pan just as the eggs start to set slightly, then put a lid on them and let it all steam in the pan. When I use something pretty wet like thawed and drained frozen spinach, the omelette itself comes out puffier. I'm assuming the excess moisture creates more steam that is being released as the egg is setting hence the puffiness.

D

Danielle

My recipe is almost the same as yours. I add milk and cream instead of water. I have never tried it with water. Does it add anything to the taste or consistency?

The Freshness