• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Need a solution to catch drippings

J

junglebrad

I'm new here and glad I found this forum. This Thanksgiving I am roasting 2 suckling pigs over my backyard fire pit. I'll be using a famous Indonesian recipe called Babi Guling involving coconut milk basting every 15 minutes. My fire pit is made of cinder blocks and I need to figure out how to catch the drippings to use on side dishes. I'm concerned that a pan underneath might interfere with the smokey flavor of the fire, and possibly uneven heat exchange.

Am I wrong in thinking this or over thinking it? Does anyone know of a good way to catch the drippings over open fire without purchasing fancy equipment?

T

TopChef

Would there be some way to place the pans part of the time, and remove them at other times? That way you could catch some of the drippings, but there would still be plenty of time for the pigs to be exposed to the smoke.

G

grillin_n_chillin

We just use disposable aluminum pans for drippings whenever we are grilling. I've never noticed it affect heat exchange or inhibit smokiness.

J

junglebrad

Thanks hot the advice. After further searching, I've found that coals or wood shouldn't be directly under the pig to prevent burning. I'll just set the pans under the pig. Easy enough! :D

The Freshness