• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

No knead rolls

S

Selah

I tried these no knead rolls for dinner tonight to go with a casserole and a salad I made and they were fantastic! These will definitely become a regular staple around our dinner table.

4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 cups warm water
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup shortening
6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside to proof.

In another bowl, mix together sugar, salt, shortening, and egg with an electric mixer at low speed. Add mixture to yeast, and stir in flour. The last 3 cups of flour will have to be mixed in by hand.

Cover dough with a damp cloth, and place in refrigerator. Punch down occasionally as dough rises. You can leave dough in refrigerator overnight.

Two hours before baking, shape the dough into rolls. Place on greased pans, baking trays or muffin pans. Let rise 2 hours.

Bake at 400 degrees F ( 205 degrees C) for 8 to 10 minutes.

P

Polly

Wow that's great because I love bread and anything I don't have to knead. I've never been good at kneading bread dough for some reason. I either don't knead it enough or too much and the bread doesn't turn out nice and fluffy.

P

pennylane

I tried the same recipe the other night and it was a great hit. The bread always tastes better if you have more time but in a pinch these are great! Lesson learned: they are not that great the day after though ;)

C

castiron

The less bread and pie dough are handled the better it tastes. Noodles need a lot of kneading and rolling for that texture to stay together in cooking. Grandma told me the secret, but I have never shared with my sister, she was excellent at cakes and everything else. I just had home made breads and pies that I could do well different to share.

C

castiron

I tried the same recipe the other night and it was a great hit. The bread always tastes better if you have more time but in a pinch these are great! Lesson learned: they are not that great the day after though ;)
Are you putting them into an empty bread sack or gallon zip lock bags? are they dried out or flavor change? Grandma had a pie pan of left over in center of stove for anyone to grab as snack, nothing remained on there overnight.

C

castiron

Wow that's great because I love bread and anything I don't have to knead. I've never been good at kneading bread dough for some reason. I either don't knead it enough or too much and the bread doesn't turn out nice and fluffy.
too much flour on the counter can also have result of a courser bread. My goal was never for fluffy just taste good. So a heavier bread worked great with stew or beef roast with gravy made from the drippings.

C

castiron

I tried these no knead rolls for dinner tonight to go with a casserole and a salad I made and they were fantastic! These will definitely become a regular staple around our dinner table.

4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 cups warm water
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup shortening
6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside to proof.

In another bowl, mix together sugar, salt, shortening, and egg with an electric mixer at low speed. Add mixture to yeast, and stir in flour. The last 3 cups of flour will have to be mixed in by hand.

Cover dough with a damp cloth, and place in refrigerator. Punch down occasionally as dough rises. You can leave dough in refrigerator overnight.

Two hours before baking, shape the dough into rolls. Place on greased pans, baking trays or muffin pans. Let rise 2 hours.

Bake at 400 degrees F ( 205 degrees C) for 8 to 10 minutes.
Nice looking recipe. I have made pizza and homemade bread dough, but never rolls. I think this would be a good recipe to begin with.

L

L_B

Thanks for posting this recipe. I like that they do not need to be kneaded. I have a touch of arthritis in my shoulder so kneading bread can be painful some days. I am be giving this recipe a try.

D

Diane Lane

I'm always in favor of recipes that don't need to be kneaded. Do these turn out light and fluffy (airy inside), or heavy? For some reason, I have difficulty with heavier breads, and it seems most I buy these days are that consistency, rather than the light fluffy french and italian breads I was able to purchase back home.

O

oportosanto

Seems simple and delicious, so thank you for sharing. For the description I think they will turn out rather fluffy.

The Freshness