• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

No oil when cooking with cast iron

H

HaroldM

I've heard that you are supposed to season your cast iron pan with oil to maintain it but I saw a cook on a cooking show and he said not to put oil in the pan when you are cooking. He said it is best to just put the meat on a really hot skillet. Does anyone else use their pan without oiling it first?

G

Guy g

Hamburger meat has enough fat so I don't need to oil. I use just enough oil so the meat like fajita meat or meat for chili doesn't stick until the natural juices get in the pan. Steaks of course go on grill.

V

vanessap

I've heard this too but I hate when meat gets stuck to the pan. I don't have the patience to wait for it to get really hot and usually throw what I'm cooking in with a little bit of canola oil.

T

Tessa

I usually don't have a problem with meat. I'll cook the meat first to grease the pan, then add other ingredients. If I'm making a vegetarian dish, I use my ceramic pans instead.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
It really depends on what I"m cooking. A lot of things I do not use oil with, steaks, chicken, burgers. Others I may use a little bit like some "stir fry" or butter for grilled cheese.

V

Viktor

With a seasoned cast iron pan, you should be fine. If it isn't oiled, it can be a problem, especially with meats and poultry that don't produce enough fat content. I never have trouble with ground chuck. Chicken and pork can stick sometimes. I'll add a tiny amount of oil when I cook either of those.

S

Smokybear

I agree that it depends on the food. I do still use grease with eggs and with chicken. As someone else said, foods with a high fat content doesn't tend to need extra.

The Freshness