• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Pig Roast

J

j_pin

Can anyone tell me or at least point me in the right direction on how to properly roast a pig in the ground? I've been to a few parties before where people have done it and it is absolutely delicious, but I've now idea how to get the pig, where, or how to dig the pit.

Anyone have any experience with this?

T

trish01

My parents and grandparents did this when I was younger. I remember it took alot of work and it seemed like hours before the pork was done. They had to do everything by hand turning, not like today where you have electric rotisserees. The pork always tasted so yummy when they did it this way. Of course they only did this for special occasions as it took alot of time and hard work.

J

j_pin

Mmm...reading your post made me want some even more.

They turned it by hand? So they roasted if over an open pit?

The way the people I used to know did it by digging a pit and making different layers, then somehow you cover the pig back up and it cooks for 2 days I believe. Just looking for someone who has done that and can clarify for me.

J

Jessi

Talk to the people who hosted the party! You may not be comfortable asking them for all the details of how to do it in the ground, of course, but you -can- easily get the name of their supplier. We've bought small whole pigs here before and the only way I would've gotten in touch with the butcher was by someone referring me to them specifically. You could potentially call around to some various butchers in the area, but you may not end up finding one immediately that will supply whole pigs.

We actually get ours from an Amish family. The butcher uses them as their supplier for large orders, so when I wanted a whole pig, they just acted as the go-between for us and I picked it up at the shop.

The Freshness