• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Pink chicken?

S

skittleblade

My ex-husband used to do all the grilling, so I have a lot to learn now that we are divorced and I do the grilling.

I grilled chicken thighs the other night, and they were on about 40 minutes and the juices ran clear. But the texture was off and the meat looked sort of pink. I was afraid they weren't done, but as they cooled, the texture improved. But some of the interior meat still looked pink.

What did I do wrong? Was it the teriyaki marinade that changed the texture? Why was some of the meat pink?

D

DipsyDo

I always check to see if the chicken is done by inserting a knife next to the bone and pulling back just a little. If there is no blood or pink juices then it is done. I'll bet the marinade did change the texture and maybe even the color.

T

Tessa

It could have been the marinade. I've seen marinades do that before. But still, that is worrisome. It'd bother me, too. Usually if I have a situation like that, I give them a little time in the oven just to be on the safe side. Could be uneven heating.

B

Burg14

I always parboil chicken (bone-in) before I grill it. I have seen some marinades and BBQ sauce do this though. 40 minutes doesn't seem like a long enough time if you didn't parboil it first.

J

joshposh

Here's what I do if I use marinades with my grilled chicken. I usually boil thawed out chicken in a pot full of the the sauce I was planning to marinate them in. This way the sauce really penetrates the meat, precooks it, and from there you can throw it on the grill for that barbecue flavor. The meat will be well marinated all the way to the bones because you pre-boiled it before grilling it.

B

Briquet

I have read that pink meat doesn't necessarily mean underdone, especially in the case of dark meat, but it still makes me nervous too. The marinade may well have had something to do with it.

S

skittleblade

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad to hear I am not the only one who would have been insecure about eating the chicken. I am going to have to try joshposh's method sometime. It makes sense to parboil first, and doing it in the sauce sounds like possible genius.

T

Tessa

Ahhh, so that's the trick! Great tips, especially with parboiling with the marinade! Certainly will save on time. I'm definitely trying this out the next time we do chicken on the grill.

J

joshposh

Ahhh, so that's the trick! Great tips, especially with parboiling with the marinade! Certainly will save on time. I'm definitely trying this out the next time we do chicken on the grill.

Trust me guys, it will penetrate the meat down to the bone. You can precook it hours, or a day before, it doesn't really matter. As soon as you throw it on the fire, you will get the barbecue flavor and texture you wanted and it won't be dry. Just make sure the sauce is of a watery consistency. If you are using a thick marinade, water it down a bit. Don't worry about the flavor. You can always brush it on while you are barbecuing it. You want the worries of pink meat to be out of the equation.

S

skreef

Something else you can do is get you a meat prob..they are worth the money if you do grill alot.uploadfromtaptalk1428883035747.jpg

necaisjackie

Guys, believe me when I say it will penetrate the meat all the way to the bone. It doesn't matter if you precook it for hours or a day ahead of time. As soon as you put it on the grill, it will have the desired barbecue flavour and texture, and it will not be dry. Simply ensure that the sauce has a watery consistency. If you're using a thick marinade, thin it out a little. Don't be concerned about the flavour. You can always brush it on while it's grilling. You want to take the fear of pink meat out of the equation.

Last edited: